"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-27-2004, 02:38 PM   #11
Master Chef

Brooksy, I've never tried this one but it sounds interesting...

Lentil Stuffed Tomatoes

½ c uncooked white rice
½ c red lentils
1 c boiling water
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 medium tomatoes
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, crushed

Rinse rice and lentils in a strainer. Place in a small saucepan and stir in boiling water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a sauté pan. Add onion, and sauté until golden brown over medium low heat. Stir in lentil mixture and mint. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Slice the tops off the tomatoes, and reserve. Scoop out the middles, and reserve. Fill tomato shells with lentil mixture, and replace the tops. Stand in a baking dish.

Chop reserved tomato middles, and place in a small bowl. Mix in oil and garlic. Pour around stuffed tomatoes.

Bake in a preheated 450F oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.

Old 12-27-2004, 03:12 PM   #12
Master Chef

[b]Sicilian Lentil Pasta Sauce[/b]

2 tsp olive oil
1 c chopped onion
2 c fresh sliced mushrooms
1 small zucchini, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c dry lentils
3 c water
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 ½ tsp white sugar
½ c water

In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and garlic. Cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.

Add lentils and 3 cups water to vegetables. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45-60 minutes.

Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar and ½ c water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. If necessary, add more water to keep the sauce from sticking. Be careful not to dilute—the sauce should be quite thick.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:08 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Thanks PA and Merry Xmas.

A bit late, but I haven't been on for a few days.

I make my own pasta so the Lentil pasta sauce looks really good & I will do that for dinner tonight. I'll do it with either spag or fett, haven't decided yet, but looks like it'd go with macaroni quite well.

If I could share a little Xmas story, I've been doing half the cooking in our house for years & thought I'd been doing a good job. Over the past couple of months I've been doing C&P recipes from here as well as my old fav's.

Always thought I was doing pretty good, until I got 3 cookbooks for Xmas. Not 1, but 3! :oops:

My mob reckoned that the dinners from this site were ok. How do you cipher that? :oops:

DampCharcoal has a lot to answer for with his stuffed hot dogs. Boy I gave them a nudge. Have put on heaps of weight & now trying to lose it. :oops:
Old 12-29-2004, 06:38 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Hey, Brooksy, glad you're back! :D After reading your Christmas story I can only assume that your mob recognizes talent when they see it (and taste it) and have given you those cookbooks so you'll cook more. Otherwise they wouldn't have given you any cookbooks at all! If they're anything like my family, they'll smile politely and spit the food on the floor if they don't like it! I can't take all the responsibilty for the stuffed dogs, it was a group effort (note how smoothly I pass the buck!) :D
Old 12-29-2004, 07:08 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Maaaaaaaaaaate,

DC, I gotta tell ya, those stuffed dogs are brilliant! I've had heaps, trying different cheeses etc. You brought 'em up! (pardon the pun)

It's all your fault.

I almost have to type with my arms outstretched. :oops:

I've had to ease right up on the food over Xmas & have tried to flush the extra weight away with beer. Hasn't worked though.

My family is very diplomatic, but hindsight is 20/20. I noticed that we went through a lot more bread at some meals than others. :oops:

The books were Jamie Oliver's (2) The Naked Chef & The Return of .....
and, Modern Italian Cooking by Stephano DePieri.

Absolutely brilliant!
Old 12-29-2004, 07:23 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Oops :oops:

Jamie's book should have read N*ked - another word for no clothes
Old 12-29-2004, 10:07 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Share the good recipes, Brooksy! 8) Pay your family no mind but if they object, you can always spike the bread with laxatives to get them out of your house!
Old 01-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Share the good recipes, Brooksy! 8) Pay your family no mind but if they object, you can always spike the bread with laxatives to get them out of your house!
rotflmao

Who's gunna clean up after the first 'follow through'? My kids are huge. Ever wonder why the elephant handler gets paid so much?

I gotta try them all first. Both Stephano and Jamie are those that use technical terms like dollop, handfull, pinch. Did you know that a pinch is less than 1/8 teaspoon? I didn't. Took a long time to find that out.

We're still working through our Xmas cook up. It took me an entire day on 2 BBQs & the day to cook all up, and has lasted quite well. The ham we got looked like an elephant's hind leg, it was huge & took a long time to cook & smoke.
BTW, before I forget. PA, the Sicilian Lentil Pasta Sauce is brilliant! Have done it twice now, with & without the tomato paste. First time I had none, so I added it yesterday. Just give an extra oomph to the tomato flavour, but it must be a good quality paste.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:03 PM   #19
Master Chef

So glad you like it, Brooksy! :D
Old 01-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #20
Master Chef

In the curried recipes for lentils, you can use yellow split peas as well. I like the combination of cauliflower and potatoes in the "soups". If you make them thick, you can pour over rice as a basic curry type dish. Serve with a flat bread, and some chutneys and/or indian pickles/relish. Fun!

Tags
None