ISO more ways to use cucumbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Swedish cucumber salad:

Thinly sliced cucumbers, onion, fresh dill, S&P, 3:1 water to vinegar, sugar. The amount of sugar depends on how many cukes and onions are in the bowl. usually I take 2/3 c water, 1/3 c vinegar and about 1/4 c sugar --shake that up in a mason jar with the dill and S&P (this is for a bowl with about 3-4 cukes and 1 medium onion). Taste. Too sweet, add more vinegar, too tart, add more sugar. Let this marinade, covered, in the fridge for at least 4 hours, serve at room temperature.

For recipes using cucumber + sour cream, instead of using sour cream, I usually will drain whole yogurt to get rid of as much whey as possible (save for bread making or kimchee), and use 7/8 c yogurt "cheese" for each cup of sour cream. Otherwise, if you prefer, you can use Greek yogurt.

Indian cucumber raita with mint is another option.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cucumber-Raita-104741

You can serve with chicken kabobs, chicken or turkey burgers, lamb, just about anything grilled or if you are making Indian mains.

Tatziki.

Last edited:
Whats the difference between rice wine vinegar and rice vinegar?

I only have rice vinegar. Is it just as good?

"Rice Wine or Rice Vinegar?

Before going any further, let's clear up the difference between rice wine and rice vinegar. Enjoyed by the Chinese for over 4,000 years, rice wine is made by a fermentation process involving yeast that transforms the sugars from glutinous rice into alcohol. When making rice vinegar the fermentation process goes one step further, adding bacteria to turn the alcohol into an acid. It's easy enough to confuse the two since they often sit side by side at the grocery store. The fact that rice vinegar is also called "rice wine vinegar" doesn't help matters."

All About Chinese Rice Vinegar

39817-albums371-picture5871.jpg
[/IMG]

Wasabi mayo cucumber cups.

Not really. I made that mistake and the results were awful.

What did you make with it?

I use rice vinegar. I just checked to make sure and realized I'm almost out! I may head out to the Asian grocery store tomorrow. This is the brand I have:

Attachments

• rice vinegar.jpg
    rice vinegar.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 248
I also have rice wine, aka shao hsing or shao xing. I think this is the brand, but it's hard to tell. The label looks pretty much the same, but most of the writing is in Chinese. 17.5% alcohol! ;)

Attachments

• rice wine.jpg
    rice wine.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 245
You made me look. I just have rice vinegar. I probably bought it specifically for a recipe, but now I'm wondering if it was supposed to be rice wine vinegar...

You made me look. I just have rice vinegar. I probably bought it specifically for a recipe, but now I'm wondering if it was supposed to be rice wine vinegar...

I'm definitely going to the Asian grocery store tomorrow and see what they have. I can't remember ever seeing rice wine vinegar, but I'm not sure I was looking for it.

RB, rice vinegar works fine for the recipes I've used it in.

When I get sesame noodles from the the Chinese restaurant, they julienne cukes and put them in there. I do the same when I've made it in the past.

Also, with those wasabi mayo cups, you can probably substitute hummus, and it would be really good too.

Ive also been at parties where they serve gazpacho out of cucumber cups as well.

When I get sesame noodles from the the Chinese restaurant, they julienne cukes and put them in there. I do the same when I've made it in the past.

Also, with those wasabi mayo cups, you can probably substitute hummus, and it would be really good too.

Ive also been at parties where they serve gazpacho out of cucumber cups as well.
I've used cucumber "cups" as the delivery device for crab salad, chicken salad, salsa, cold cucumber soup.

Cucumber salsa recipe that is in my "to try this summer file"

Cucumber Salsa - Bon Appétit

I'm going to try that with the Dragon Lady's Sesame noodles the next time. Thanks Larry.

I've used cucumber "cups" as the delivery device for crab salad, chicken salad, salsa, cold cucumber soup.

Cucumber salsa recipe that is in my "to try this summer file"

Cucumber Salsa - Bon Appétit

That Cucumber Salsa looks like a winner from Bon Appetit.

This recipe from them also sounds interesting and unusual.
Spiced Cucumbers and Coconut Milk - Bon Appétit

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom