ISO more ways to use cucumbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I love cucumbers and pickles and have four cucumber plants in the garden. They're starting to produce. I picked two a couple of days ago - made tzatziki with one and ate part of the other with ranch dressing for lunch - and three more today. I've made Japanese cucumber salad with rice vinegar and sesame oil, Scandinavian cucumber salad with dill and sour cream, and Thai cucumber salad with white vinegar, sugar and cayenne. Looking for other ideas and creative uses for the many cucumbers coming my way.

Attachments

• 2014-06-27 16.31.12.jpg
    2014-06-27 16.31.12.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 269
Thanks for posting this, GG, I too am interested. Mine mostly go into freezer pickles, but that doesn't stop me from growing them every year!

Cucumber infused water is refreshing.

Roughly chop one or more medium size cucumbers and put into a 1/2 gallon container of water, refrigerate for at least an hour and serve over ice. You can play with adding various fresh herbs dill, basil, etc...

I forgot about cucumber lemonade! Also nice with watermelon.

And I just happen to have a big bowl of sliced cucumbers with Vidalia onion, sour cream and s&p in the fridge :yum:

I love cucumbers and pickles and have four cucumber plants in the garden. They're starting to produce. I picked two a couple of days ago - made tzatziki with one and ate part of the other with ranch dressing for lunch - and three more today. I've made Japanese cucumber salad with rice vinegar and sesame oil, Scandinavian cucumber salad with dill and sour cream, and Thai cucumber salad with white vinegar, sugar and cayenne. Looking for other ideas and creative uses for the many cucumbers coming my way.
Cold cucumber soup is very refreshing as a first course in hot weather - https://www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/recipes-view.php?title=chilled-cucumber-soup

Or an uncooked one - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1507667/green-cucumber-and-mint-gazpacho

Or hot cucumber soup - Late summer cucumber soup - Soups - Recipes - from Delia Online

Last edited:
I don't have a specific recipe for this but you may enjoy Kim Chee Cucumbers. Tons of recipes on the web for that. Yummy and spicey! The third pic pacanis posted may be Kim Chee Cuc's. It looks similar to that.

Yummy, all those pics look delicious! Can you elaborate a bit more on how you prepared and seasoned them? :)

I seem to be having a hard time finding the salmon recipe. I even looked here at DC, where I'm sure I posted the link, but here's what it's called: Vietnamese Salmon Rice Bowl with Ginger-Lime SauceSteamed white rice topped with fingers of Vietnamese, pan-roasted salmon and thinly sliced Kirby cucumbers dressed with a fresh ginger infused lime sauce
I'm sure I have the recipe printed out in my pile 'o recipes. I made it for PPPC I a few years ago when Cleveland Played Seattle.

spicy chinese cucumber salad recipe | use real butter

Korean Style Tacos with Kogi BBQ Sauce | Steamy Kitchen Recipes

And the other is simply crab salad in cucumber cups.

I wonder if that veggie pasta/ribbony cutter thing that some folks here have used for zucchini would work, using cukes instead of pasta or zukes.

Last edited:
I'm sooo jealous of your picture from your garden GG. Those are the only kind of cucumbers I'll eat and they are so expensive in the grocery all wrapped in shrink wrap.

We slice them paper thin on the mandolin along with white onion and and dress them (after they've been salted and drained in a colander) with rice wine vinegar, sugar, white pepper and just a little mayo.

Cucumbers in Sour Cream

1 Ea Cucumber
1 tsp Salt
½ C Sour Cream
4 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
1-2 Drops Tabasco Sauce
2 Tb Chives - Snipped
½ tsp Dried Dill Weed
Pinch White Pepper

Slice the cucumber into very thin slices. Sprinkle with the salt and let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature to release excess water from the cucumbers. Drain. Squeeze out excess water.

Combine the remaining ingredients and toss with the cucumbers.

Chill for 30 minutes

I wonder if that veggie pasta/ribbony cutter thing that some folks here have used for zucchini would work, using cukes instead of pasta or zukes.
The spirooli works on cucumbers. Makes an interesting twist (pun intended) when adding cukes to salads or stir fries.

Back
Top Bottom