ISO Old / Traditional Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And here's Delia Smith's orange marmalade B&BP which is a standard British favourite nowadays. It's a great twist on old-fashioned bread n but pud! I can't seem to get rid of the underlining, nor the highlighting from the forum search I conducted to find it.

Here's the Delia Smith pudding. Highly recommended by members of my family!

2 rounded tablespoons dark chunky orange marmalade

6 slices white bread, from a good-quality large loaf, 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick with crusts left on
2 oz (50 g) softened butter
10 fl oz (275 ml) whole milk
2.5 fl oz (60 ml) double cream
3 large eggs
3 oz (75 g) sugar
grated zest 1 large orange
1 level tablespoon demerara sugar
1 oz (25 g) candied peel, finely chopped

To serve: crème fraiche or chilled pouring cream
A baking dish, base 7 x 9 inches (18 x 23 cm) and 2 inches (5cm) deep, lightly buttered.

First, generously butter the slices of bread on one side, then spread the marmalade on 3 of these slices, and put the other 3 slices on top (buttered side down) so you've got 3 rounds of sandwiches. Now spread some butter over the top slice of each sandwich and cut each one into quarters to make little triangles or squares.

Then arrange the sandwiches, butter side up, overlapping each other in the baking dish and standing almost upright. After that, whisk the milk, cream, eggs and sugar together and pour this all over the bread. Scatter the surface of the bread with the grated orange zest, demerara sugar and candied peel, then place the pudding on a high shelf and bake it for 35-40 minutes until it's puffy and golden and the top crust is crunchy.

Serve the pudding straight from the oven while it's still puffy, with either crème fraîche or chilled pouring cream.

If your 'very picky teacher' isn't impressed by the Delia Smith recipe - she needs to re-train!:chef:

grumblebee - if I mess this up too badly I am sure Ishbel will correct me ...

Demerara sugar contains some of the molasses from processing - like brown sugar in the Americas. The major difference (all things being equal) is that the sugar crystals are larger ... something akin to the size of Kosher salt compared to table salt.

While it will not be "exactly" the same ... here in North America the nearest thing we can find would be light brown sugar.

Michael
Far be it from me to correct you! I have trouble enough trying to correlate the differences between UK, European, US and Canadian terminology!:)

I don't know if this one can satisfy your requirements....It was a drink so old and traditional in North of Italy, that now is nearly no more known...When I was a child, my grandfather was giving me behind the shoulders of my grand mother: " NO WINE to a child!!!"
And he: "Wine:angel: ? It's milk! And moreover he must grow up...."
In a glass: 3/4 well frozen milk, 1/4 red wine, 1/2 tsp of sugar (or what you like). Mix and drink
Pay attention: absolutely no wine with some gas inside. Otherwise, the milk will become cheese......:) . And it's no possible to prepare it in advance, for the same reason....

Last edited:
If you make it in individual ramekins, sprinkle with a little icing sugar just before serving.

Make it in a larger dish and cut a 'diamond' shaped portion and serve with either creme fraiche or double cream. If you make the marmalade one - then you could add a little orange zest to the cream.

RDG
These are pupils at a school. I somehow doubt that their teachers will allow alcoholic beverages as part of their syllabus.

Ishbel said:
RDG
These are pupils at a school. I somehow doubt that their teachers will allow alcoholic beverages as part of their syllabus.
Really sorry, I've not read about pupils. I've read about traditional recipes. How old they are? We effectively don't consider 1/4 of glass of wine in 3/4 of milk an alcoolic drink....at least since twelve years age. Of course, much depends from the age......

The alcohol laws in Australia are similar to those in the UK, I believe.

What a parent chooses to let a child do in the privacy of their own home, and I always allowed my children a little wine if they ASKED for it from quite an early age, is different to allowing a school pupil to drink or use alcohol under the age allowed within countries' laws.

Ishbel said:
The alcohol laws in Australia are similar to those in the UK, I believe.

What a parent chooses to let a child do in the privacy of their own home, and I always allowed my children a little wine if they ASKED for it from quite an early age, is different to allowing a school pupil to drink or use alcohol under the age allowed within countries' laws.
Yesssss, madam.....:)
Please only consider that I'm not obliged to know the laws of ALL the countries here represented. Is'nt it?
Could you ever forgive me?:)

bah! how can u have milk with wine? that sounds kinda gross to us. However that could be cause weve never had alcohol but anyway. were 17 and it doesn't matter how old we are to our school cause no matter how old we are were not allowed to use alcohol. It's prohibited on school grounds. sorry for all the confusion. Kim finished her assignment and weve got a photo. she made a Baked Lemon cheesecake. here is the photo.

ok we have a problem the photo dosent wanna be here so were gonna post it later.

luv Kim and Krysten:chef:

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing up the differences between AngloSaxon licensing laws and the Mediterranean, ladies!

Glad to hear that the dessert turned out so well. Hope you get top marks for your assignment :chef:

Ok Im going to try again to see if i can get the picture to show up.

Ok well its not going to work again so i will wait till monday till Krysten has done her prac and we will post both pictures at the same time. By the way she still needs to think of a way to serve bread and butter pudding. Anyone got any?

Luv Kim & Krysten (Well its only Kim here but anyway!):chef:

Back
Top Bottom