"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #21
Executive Chef

And here's Delia Smith's orange marmalade B&BP which is a standard British favourite nowadays. It's a great twist on old-fashioned bread n but pud! I can't seem to get rid of the underlining, nor the highlighting from the forum search I conducted to find it.

Here's the Delia Smith pudding. Highly recommended by members of my family!

2 rounded tablespoons dark chunky orange marmalade

6 slices white bread, from a good-quality large loaf, 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick with crusts left on
2 oz (50 g) softened butter
10 fl oz (275 ml) whole milk
2.5 fl oz (60 ml) double cream
3 large eggs
3 oz (75 g) sugar
grated zest 1 large orange
1 level tablespoon demerara sugar
1 oz (25 g) candied peel, finely chopped

To serve: crème fraiche or chilled pouring cream
A baking dish, base 7 x 9 inches (18 x 23 cm) and 2 inches (5cm) deep, lightly buttered.

First, generously butter the slices of bread on one side, then spread the marmalade on 3 of these slices, and put the other 3 slices on top (buttered side down) so you've got 3 rounds of sandwiches. Now spread some butter over the top slice of each sandwich and cut each one into quarters to make little triangles or squares.

Then arrange the sandwiches, butter side up, overlapping each other in the baking dish and standing almost upright. After that, whisk the milk, cream, eggs and sugar together and pour this all over the bread. Scatter the surface of the bread with the grated orange zest, demerara sugar and candied peel, then place the pudding on a high shelf and bake it for 35-40 minutes until it's puffy and golden and the top crust is crunchy.

Serve the pudding straight from the oven while it's still puffy, with either crème fraîche or chilled pouring cream.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:58 AM   #22
Contest Winner

ishbel- that recipe sounds great! What is demerara sugar though?

Old 02-23-2006, 03:51 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Demerara sugar comes from Mauritius and is very popular in the UK to give a caramel flavour to cakes and puddings. I found a site which shows a packet of the sugar
http://shopstashtea.com/300312.html
Old 02-23-2006, 05:24 PM   #24
Cook

Location: South Australia, Australia, The southern Hemisphere, The Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe
all of thiat sounds so nice. Im gonna try a couple of the recipes this weekend and see what looks and tastes good enough for my very picky teacher.

luv Kim and Krysten
Old 02-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #25
Executive Chef

If your 'very picky teacher' isn't impressed by the Delia Smith recipe - she needs to re-train!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #26
Master Chef

grumblebee - if I mess this up too badly I am sure Ishbel will correct me ...

Demerara sugar contains some of the molasses from processing - like brown sugar in the Americas. The major difference (all things being equal) is that the sugar crystals are larger ... something akin to the size of Kosher salt compared to table salt.

While it will not be "exactly" the same ... here in North America the nearest thing we can find would be light brown sugar.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Michael
Far be it from me to correct you! I have trouble enough trying to correlate the differences between UK, European, US and Canadian terminology!
Old 02-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #28
Cook

Location: South Australia, Australia, The southern Hemisphere, The Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe
Well my prac (Kim) is today and again we will be taking photos of the end result so i will post them again. Wish me luck

Luv Kim & Krysten
Old 02-27-2006, 05:03 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
I don't know if this one can satisfy your requirements....It was a drink so old and traditional in North of Italy, that now is nearly no more known...When I was a child, my grandfather was giving me behind the shoulders of my grand mother: " NO WINE to a child!!!"
And he: "Wine ? It's milk! And moreover he must grow up...."
In a glass: 3/4 well frozen milk, 1/4 red wine, 1/2 tsp of sugar (or what you like). Mix and drink
Pay attention: absolutely no wine with some gas inside. Otherwise, the milk will become cheese...... . And it's no possible to prepare it in advance, for the same reason....
Old 02-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #30
Cook

hi its me again. just wondering isf anyone had any serving ideas for my (krysten) Bread and Butter Pudding.

luv Kim and Krysten

Tags
None