ISO Onion Soup or??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dove

DC Grandma
I have some very large onions from Costco that I need to use up soon. Since DH is still in a Rehab.Home with his fractured hip what do I do with all of them besides cut them up and freeze in baggies.
Keep is simple...like onion soup that I could freeze or whatever.
Marge

Maybe some stuffed baked onions? Peel onions whole, then 'core' out a section in the center.

Make your favorite stuffing (you could use Stove Top, I won't tell!), add some cheese; stuff the onions. Place in a baking pan and add a little chicken broth; cover with foil and bake at 350 til onions are soft. Let them cool, then package and freeze.

Hi Marge - just saute in some butter and olive oil. Once nice and golden sprinkle with some flour and sugar/splenda (maybe 1 tsp to 1 can beef broth) to absorb the excess oil (will also help give a nice base to soup). Stir constantly for about 3 minutes then slowly add, whisking the whole time, beef broth. That's about as simple as I can get but it will be good. If you feel the beef broth is too strong just add a little water. I use the low sodium beef broth.

If you want to you can put a piece of cheese (provolone or mozzarella) on a piece of bread and broil - this way you don't have to make a piece of bread to place on the soup then cheese then broil. Just have your cheese toast on the side.

kitchenelf said:
Hi Marge - just saute in some butter and olive oil. Once nice and golden sprinkle with some flour and sugar/splenda (maybe 1 tsp to 1 can beef broth) to absorb the excess oil (will also help give a nice base to soup). Stir constantly for about 3 minutes then slowly add, whisking the whole time, beef broth. That's about as simple as I can get but it will be good. If you feel the beef broth is too strong just add a little water. I use the low sodium beef broth.

If you want to you can put a piece of cheese (provolone or mozzarella) on a piece of bread and broil - this way you don't have to make a piece of bread to place on the soup then cheese then broil. Just have your cheese toast on the side.

wow i've never used flour/sugar when making onion soup. thanks for the tip, ill have to try that next time.

Onion Pie My friend has made this for me a few times and it is wonderful!

1 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 cup melted butter
Combine and pat into a pie plate

Saute 3 or 4 sliced onions in butter. Pile onions onto the crust.

Mix:
2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup milk

Pour over the onions and crust. Top with shredded cheese. Bake 1/2 an hour at 350 or until set.

Note: I used Low Fat Ritz (one tube) and crushed them in my hands. Melted a cube of butter and squished it all together.

I sauteed 2 walla walla sweet onions, and almost a whole red onion (sm. - med. sized).

Mixed the eggs and milk, dumped it on.

The recipe calls for cheddar cheese but I did not have any, I used fresh grated parmesan. Turned out perfect!

FRENCH ONION SOUP This is the onion soup recipe that I use. Pretty great!

1/2 tablespoons butter (you can use much less)
2-3 cups thinly sliced onions (Walla walla sweet works best)
4 cups beef broth
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup white wine
4-6 slices french bread
3/4-1 cup shredded cheese, your choice.. I use a combo of swiss and parmasian

:)
In a large saucepan melt butter. Stir in onions. Cooked covered, over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add beef broth, white wine, Worcestershire sauce and a dash of pepper. Bring to a boil.
reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

fill small (OVEN SAFE) soup bowls with soup sprinkle with parmasian cheese, top with a piece of French bread and some of the Swiss cheese, bake in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and nicely browned!! Very easy and very good!!

CAREFUL!!
THE BOWLS WILL BE EXTREAMLY HOT!!

If you really want to add a new flavor try adding about 1/4 cup Port and Burgundy each. REALLY good but not always necessary if you don't have them on hand.

Back
Top Bottom