ISO Potatoes Au Gratin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) Every potato gratin I have ever made with raw potatoes does not cook potatoes thru so I always boil whole russets to almost done then cool and then slice potatoes and follow recipe.Then it comes out perfect.

Here is a recipe that never fails me - and if it isn't done then simply cook it longer - just plan for it! It will retail its heat for awhile so if you start it early and it gets done early it should be fine if you keep it covered. It also heats nicely in the microwave.

Lots of good ideas here. When I have a chance, will post my Au Gratin recipe in the veggie catagory. The trick, for me, to getting the dish cooked through is... I boil the water for the potatoes & let them simmer for about five-10 minutes. I don't use a mandoline or processor - just slice the potatoes thinly. Hope that helps.

I always change mine. Sometimes I use goat cheese, sometimes not. I slice the potatoes on the mandolin very thin and make sure there's plenty of liquid for the sauce to cook them through. Also, carmelize the onion/shallot first, then assemble.

For the sauce I make a somewhat thin bechamel sauce with salt, pepper, nutmeg and whatever cheese I feel like adding. Be careful with goat cheese it will break on you.

Coat the dish with butter to prevent sticking. You can top with a thin coat of breadcrumbs and little wads of butter. Cook it covered for the first...say 30-40 minutes, then uncover to reduce and crisp up the top.

I always change mine. Sometimes I use goat cheese, sometimes not. I slice the potatoes on the mandolin very thin and make sure there's plenty of liquid for the sauce to cook them through. Also, carmelize the onion/shallot first, then assemble.

For the sauce I make a somewhat thin bechamel sauce with salt, pepper, nutmeg and whatever cheese I feel like adding. Be careful with goat cheese it will break on you.

Coat the dish with butter to prevent sticking. You can top with a thin coat of breadcrumbs and little wads of butter. Cook it covered for the first...say 30-40 minutes, then uncover to reduce and crisp up the top.
thanks for sharing

Lots of good ideas here. When I have a chance, will post my Au Gratin recipe in the veggie catagory. The trick, for me, to getting the dish cooked through is... I boil the water for the potatoes & let them simmer for about five-10 minutes. I don't use a mandoline or processor - just slice the potatoes thinly. Hope that helps.

thanks for sharing your tips.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom