ISO raw mushrooms, red/orange peppers recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ratsrcute

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe in the "5 in 10" cookbook which says that sauteed mushrooms and orange/yellow/red bell peppers go really well together, which is true. However, I would like to make a raw dish like that. I have some jaw pain so I can't chew things very much, but in spite of that I would like to eat more raw veggies. If I chop things up finely, I'm usually okay.

So anyway, I experimented with raw mushroom and peppers. (I'm avoiding green peppers--just using red/orange/yellow.) I cut them up finely. Raw mushroom has a kind of "hollow" taste which needs some kind of balancing ingredient. I have very little knowledge of cooking so I just experimented. I added white wine vinegar. Not bad. I added some salt and pepper. That helps. I tried toasted sesame oil, but that has a very dark and smoky flavor which didn't go well with the sweet peppers, I think.

So help me! what spice or seasoning or other raw veggie can I add to mushrooms and peppers? What can act as a foil or balance to the "hollow" taste and spongy texture of raw mushroom?

thanks,
Mike

I've added raw peppers and mushrooms to potato and egg salad (potato and egg cooked obviously) and they have gone down well. Very light on the mayo as a dressing.

Try different mushrooms. I haven't found them to be spongy. Mine have snapped. How are you cutting them? Are they fresh enough?

What about peas? They are tasty raw. Have you tried balsamic vinegar. What about putting them through coleslaw, that's entirely raw.

I used to add raw mushrooms to a garden salad with some orange segments. That was tasty. Didn't add a dressing as not overly keen on sloppy salad.

If you like seafood/fish, ceviche comes to mind. Add a hot pepper, lime juice, cilantro and/or parsley, chopped tomatoes, avocado - shrimp, snapper or scallops. Or - Add a citrus-y dressing, more veggies and/or fruit of choice & make a salad.

Last edited:
I marinate raw sliced mushrooms in Italian dressing for salads. The peppers would go great with that.

I do the same with a whole mix of raw veggies. I put everything into a large, wide-mouth mason jar and just turn throughout the day. I use broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, mushrooms, spring onions or red onions, celery, and then when I'm ready to eat I just put it on a bed of baby greens.

Since you have trouble chewing just chop everything smaller than normal.

How long do you marinate them for?

Thanks,
Mike

I know I'm not Constance but you marinate them until they sort of "break down". You can tell by looking at the mushrooms that they have basically "cooked" from the acid in the Italian dressing. When I do mine I marinate for the day. If you chop them fairly fine I'd say about 4 hours should do it.

Connie may do hers differently and I'm sure she will weigh in here too. :chef:

I've added raw peppers and mushrooms to potato and egg salad (potato and egg cooked obviously) and they have gone down well. Very light on the mayo as a dressing.

Try different mushrooms. I haven't found them to be spongy. Mine have snapped. How are you cutting them? Are they fresh enough?

What about peas? They are tasty raw. Have you tried balsamic vinegar. What about putting them through coleslaw, that's entirely raw.

I used to add raw mushrooms to a garden salad with some orange segments. That was tasty. Didn't add a dressing as not overly keen on sloppy salad.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm also avoiding egg, so that's out. I don't know about the mushrooms.. by spongy I mean compared to crisp veggies. I love peas.. that's a great idea. Also balsamic vinegar.

Mike

I know you said raw, but you could dice them and do a real quick saute and add the peppers and shrooms to some rice. They would still basically be raw, just heated a tad.

Back
Top Bottom