Lee
Well who knew??????? Thanks Q

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Flour, egg and then breadcrumb. I use plain breadcrumbs/corn meal combo that I season, otherwise they'll have an italian flavour instead of southern. Add granulated garlic, thyme, oregano, cayenne, salt. I fry in cast iron with vegetable oil. You can serve them with a remoulade sauce, lemon wedges or a creamy peppery sauce (black pepper) . I always use unripe tomatoes. This is a good time of year to get them, too.
There's a local restaurant that makes a fried green tomato stack layered with goat cheese and topped with a spicy green pepper drizzle. Mmmmmmmmm.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
Head Chef

Fried green tomatoes Dairy
6-8 green tomatoes sliced
.3/4 cup bread crumbs
.1/4 cup corn meal
.1/2 tsp salt
.1/4 tsp pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
1 Quart home made tomato sauce or store bought
1-2 cups part skims mozzarella
.1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Core the tomatoes and slice about .1/3 inch thick. Set aside. In a bowl mix the bread crumbs, corn meal and salt and pepper together

In a large Cast iron skillet #8 or # 10 size. Heat about .1/2 cup of oil
Press tomato slices into the crumb mixture to thoroughly coat both sides. Fry in the oil till golden brown, turning ounce. Drain on paper towels. Continue until all the tomatoes are cooked. Adding more oil to the skillet as needed

Pour enough tomato sauce in a casserole dish to coat the bottom.
Place the tomato slices in the dish and top with some of the sauce
And then mozzarella. Layer with tomatoes sauce and mozzarella cheese ending with the sauce top with parmesan cheese and bake in a 350*F until brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes. You can add cayenn pepper to spice it up, or any other spice/herb you like.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
There's a local restaurant that makes a fried green tomato stack layered with goat cheese and topped with a spicy green pepper drizzle. Mmmmmmmmm.
There's a place in NYC called Delta Grill that makes that same stack, I think...sans goat cheese, but with the creamy peppery sauce, mushrooms and chicken bits.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #15
Head Chef

wow that sounds really good.

I've canned thick slices of green tomatoes (unripe) in a salt solution, and a tablespoon of vinegar, to make in the winter. For wide mouth pint jars, just make sure the slices will fit in the jar when you slice.
We love them.
I've breaded them with crumbs and I've tried cornmeal and flour, I like them both. ~Bliss
Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Wow, these ALL sound really good! Good thing I have an abundance of green tomatoes right now. My son keeps picking my tomatoes thinking they are balls, so I can harvest them right off the grass. :-) Plus our harvest is two weeks late this year, I know I'll have plenty of tomatoes on the vine when it freezes. We'll have time to use ALL of these recipies!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
wow that sounds really good.

I've canned thick slices of green tomatoes (unripe) in a salt solution, and a tablespoon of vinegar, to make in the winter. For wide mouth pint jars, just make sure the slices will fit in the jar when you slice.
We love them.
I've breaded them with crumbs and I've tried cornmeal and flour, I like them both. ~Bliss
Do they stay firm after you can them? If so.......I may be doing the same thing!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Do they stay firm after you can them? If so.......I may be doing the same thing!
I waterbath can them boiling for 10 minutes, so they are softer than fresh, but the added salt and vinegar really give them a great flavor when frying them. ~Bliss
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Mmmmm! Fried green tomatoes. Heaven on a plate.I use firm unripe green tomatoes. Slice them about 1/4-inch thick. Pat dry with paper towels, then dip in beaten egg. After the egg, I press them into a shallow bowl filled with Italian bread crumbs. Place them on a waxed paper-lined plate or cookie sheet and refrigerate about 20 minutes to allow the breading to "set up."When ready to cook, I heat about 1/4-inch of canola oil in my iron skillet and cook each tomato slice until they are crisp and browned on both sides. Drain on a wire rack that's placed over paper towels. DO NOT drain directly on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt and/or pepper immediately after removing from oil.If I want to get yummier, I'll sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the tomatoes as I eat them.
{{{{{{{{{KatieE}}}}}}}}}}
Gad these sound good. Used to eat them at MIL's house as she was a frequent user of tomatoes in this way, her husband couldn't do red tomatoes or ripe tomatoes so for his tom fix, his name was Tom too, she'd make these.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Mmmmm! Fried green tomatoes. Heaven on a plate.

I use firm unripe green tomatoes. Slice them about 1/4-inch thick. Pat dry with paper towels, then dip in beaten egg. After the egg, I press them into a shallow bowl filled with Italian bread crumbs. Place them on a waxed paper-lined plate or cookie sheet and refrigerate about 20 minutes to allow the breading to "set up."

When ready to cook, I heat about 1/4-inch of canola oil in my iron skillet and cook each tomato slice until they are crisp and browned on both sides. Drain on a wire rack that's placed over paper towels. DO NOT drain directly on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt and/or pepper immediately after removing from oil.

If I want to get yummier, I'll sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the tomatoes as I eat them.
I will have to try your method, Katie.

Tags
None