"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
It is excellent! Share Your Green Tomato Recipes

Lee
Well who knew??????? Thanks Q
__________________

__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Flour, egg and then breadcrumb. I use plain breadcrumbs/corn meal combo that I season, otherwise they'll have an italian flavour instead of southern. Add granulated garlic, thyme, oregano, cayenne, salt. I fry in cast iron with vegetable oil. You can serve them with a remoulade sauce, lemon wedges or a creamy peppery sauce (black pepper) . I always use unripe tomatoes. This is a good time of year to get them, too.
There's a local restaurant that makes a fried green tomato stack layered with goat cheese and topped with a spicy green pepper drizzle. Mmmmmmmmm.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Des Moines Iowa
Posts: 1,214
Fried green tomatoes Dairy
6-8 green tomatoes sliced
.3/4 cup bread crumbs
.1/4 cup corn meal
.1/2 tsp salt
.1/4 tsp pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
1 Quart home made tomato sauce or store bought
1-2 cups part skims mozzarella
.1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Core the tomatoes and slice about .1/3 inch thick. Set aside. In a bowl mix the bread crumbs, corn meal and salt and pepper together

In a large Cast iron skillet #8 or # 10 size. Heat about .1/2 cup of oil
Press tomato slices into the crumb mixture to thoroughly coat both sides. Fry in the oil till golden brown, turning ounce. Drain on paper towels. Continue until all the tomatoes are cooked. Adding more oil to the skillet as needed

Pour enough tomato sauce in a casserole dish to coat the bottom.
Place the tomato slices in the dish and top with some of the sauce
And then mozzarella. Layer with tomatoes sauce and mozzarella cheese ending with the sauce top with parmesan cheese and bake in a 350*F until brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes. You can add cayenn pepper to spice it up, or any other spice/herb you like.
__________________
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
There's a local restaurant that makes a fried green tomato stack layered with goat cheese and topped with a spicy green pepper drizzle. Mmmmmmmmm.
There's a place in NYC called Delta Grill that makes that same stack, I think...sans goat cheese, but with the creamy peppery sauce, mushrooms and chicken bits.
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,112
wow that sounds really good.

I've canned thick slices of green tomatoes (unripe) in a salt solution, and a tablespoon of vinegar, to make in the winter. For wide mouth pint jars, just make sure the slices will fit in the jar when you slice.
We love them.
I've breaded them with crumbs and I've tried cornmeal and flour, I like them both. ~Bliss
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
Sous Chef
 
B'sgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 863
Wow, these ALL sound really good! Good thing I have an abundance of green tomatoes right now. My son keeps picking my tomatoes thinking they are balls, so I can harvest them right off the grass. :-) Plus our harvest is two weeks late this year, I know I'll have plenty of tomatoes on the vine when it freezes. We'll have time to use ALL of these recipies!
__________________
Michelle
http://foodmakeshimsick.blogspot.com/

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #17
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
wow that sounds really good.

I've canned thick slices of green tomatoes (unripe) in a salt solution, and a tablespoon of vinegar, to make in the winter. For wide mouth pint jars, just make sure the slices will fit in the jar when you slice.
We love them.
I've breaded them with crumbs and I've tried cornmeal and flour, I like them both. ~Bliss
Do they stay firm after you can them? If so.......I may be doing the same thing!
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Do they stay firm after you can them? If so.......I may be doing the same thing!
I waterbath can them boiling for 10 minutes, so they are softer than fresh, but the added salt and vinegar really give them a great flavor when frying them. ~Bliss
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #19
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Mmmmm! Fried green tomatoes. Heaven on a plate.I use firm unripe green tomatoes. Slice them about 1/4-inch thick. Pat dry with paper towels, then dip in beaten egg. After the egg, I press them into a shallow bowl filled with Italian bread crumbs. Place them on a waxed paper-lined plate or cookie sheet and refrigerate about 20 minutes to allow the breading to "set up."When ready to cook, I heat about 1/4-inch of canola oil in my iron skillet and cook each tomato slice until they are crisp and browned on both sides. Drain on a wire rack that's placed over paper towels. DO NOT drain directly on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt and/or pepper immediately after removing from oil.If I want to get yummier, I'll sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the tomatoes as I eat them.
{{{{{{{{{KatieE}}}}}}}}}}
Gad these sound good. Used to eat them at MIL's house as she was a frequent user of tomatoes in this way, her husband couldn't do red tomatoes or ripe tomatoes so for his tom fix, his name was Tom too, she'd make these.
__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #20
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Mmmmm! Fried green tomatoes. Heaven on a plate.

I use firm unripe green tomatoes. Slice them about 1/4-inch thick. Pat dry with paper towels, then dip in beaten egg. After the egg, I press them into a shallow bowl filled with Italian bread crumbs. Place them on a waxed paper-lined plate or cookie sheet and refrigerate about 20 minutes to allow the breading to "set up."

When ready to cook, I heat about 1/4-inch of canola oil in my iron skillet and cook each tomato slice until they are crisp and browned on both sides. Drain on a wire rack that's placed over paper towels. DO NOT drain directly on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt and/or pepper immediately after removing from oil.

If I want to get yummier, I'll sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the tomatoes as I eat them.
I will have to try your method, Katie.
__________________

__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.