"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO recipe for fried green tomatoes

My sister had some that were made by a chef-in-training. She says they were breaded and had some really good spice on them. I'd like to try and replicate it, does anyone have a good recipe? What kind of tomatoes do you use: ripe green tomatoes, unripe red tomatoes, ripe tomatillos?

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Mmmmm! Fried green tomatoes. Heaven on a plate.

I use firm unripe green tomatoes. Slice them about 1/4-inch thick. Pat dry with paper towels, then dip in beaten egg. After the egg, I press them into a shallow bowl filled with Italian bread crumbs. Place them on a waxed paper-lined plate or cookie sheet and refrigerate about 20 minutes to allow the breading to "set up."

When ready to cook, I heat about 1/4-inch of canola oil in my iron skillet and cook each tomato slice until they are crisp and browned on both sides. Drain on a wire rack that's placed over paper towels. DO NOT drain directly on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt and/or pepper immediately after removing from oil.

If I want to get yummier, I'll sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the tomatoes as I eat them.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Master Chef

When I've had them, they were done with a flour/egg/flour breading, and they were good!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I've had them both ways and they are delicious either way.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The ol' fried green tomato pie dilemma First, tomatillos are NOT used in this recipe - they are in the tomato family, but that's where it stops. Use green tomatoes which are unripe red tomatoes. So to say unripe green tomato just doesn't work.

I use equal parts flour and cornmeal (sometimes just one of them) then I season fairly well with salt, pepper, garlic powder (not too heavy), and ground cayenne/red pepper (sometimes, not always). I have been known to put a little cornstarch in the mix too and one time I even used pancake mix 'cause I was out of flour! Tempura batter will also work.

Dip in order - Flour mixture, egg (sometimes I put hot sauce in my egg mixture too), flour mixture - fry. Turn only once.

And follow Katie E's lead about the wire rack - this will let them drip dry versus one side getting soggy on a paper towel! That is good advice and something I haven't always done. Also, if you don't heavily salt your flour, as soon as you put them on the wire rack to cool, sprinkle with kosher salt or gray salt - the gray salt is a great textural thing.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Mmmmm! Fried green tomatoes. Heaven on a plate.

I use firm unripe green tomatoes. Slice them about 1/4-inch thick. Pat dry with paper towels, then dip in beaten egg. After the egg, I press them into a shallow bowl filled with Italian bread crumbs. Place them on a waxed paper-lined plate or cookie sheet and refrigerate about 20 minutes to allow the breading to "set up."

When ready to cook, I heat about 1/4-inch of canola oil in my iron skillet and cook each tomato slice until they are crisp and browned on both sides. Drain on a wire rack that's placed over paper towels. DO NOT drain directly on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt and/or pepper immediately after removing from oil.

If I want to get yummier, I'll sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the tomatoes as I eat them.
Katie - you inspired a new dish - Fried Green Tomato Parmesan!!!!!!!!! Surely it HAS to be good!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I've settled on slices with just a hint of buttermilk on them (not soaked) S&P, Cornmeal, and fried till golden brown... being carful not to burn before they are done.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I was hoping you would weigh in here UB - I will have to try your way very soon!!! I trust your judgment 110% when it comes to yummy fried anything...and bourbon

Old 08-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Flour, egg and then breadcrumb. I use plain breadcrumbs/corn meal combo that I season, otherwise they'll have an italian flavour instead of southern. Add granulated garlic, thyme, oregano, cayenne, salt. I fry in cast iron with vegetable oil. You can serve them with a remoulade sauce, lemon wedges or a creamy peppery sauce (black pepper) . I always use unripe tomatoes. This is a good time of year to get them, too.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Katie - you inspired a new dish - Fried Green Tomato Parmesan!!!!!!!!! Surely it HAS to be good!!!!!!
It is excellent! Share Your Green Tomato Recipes

Lee

Tags
None