"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-27-2005, 01:00 PM   #21
Master Chef

I like vegie soup with brussel sprouts, they give such plesent sweet taste yum.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:29 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
you mean you people actually EAT those things ?????
*eck*

Old 10-28-2005, 06:31 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
you mean you people actually EAT those things ????? *eck*
Ohhh now Middie, we're the same people we always were before you knew we ate brussel sprouts

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:04 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
you mean you people actually EAT those things ?????
*eck*
You and my wife don't know what you're missing, the stuff is yyyyyummyyyyy
Old 10-28-2005, 09:24 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina
Hi Constance, I really like the pinenut idea, they can be a lot easier to get year round than chestnuts depending on where you live
Jessica, I've never even seen a chestnut...in fact, it's just been the last few years that I've been able to find pine nuts here.
There are advantages to living in rural areas though...like watching the deer eating persimmons just a few feet from my kitchen window.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Jessica, I've never even seen a chestnut...in fact, it's just been the last few years that I've been able to find pine nuts here.
There are advantages to living in rural areas though...like watching the deer eating persimmons just a few feet from my kitchen window.
Hi Constance, I know what you mean, I went from big city Canada to (what I call) the boonies in Ireland (with a little pit stop in between in Dublin). There are zillions of ingredients and pieces of equiptment that you can't get here. In fact I was quite surprised when I saw chesnuts (at a crazy $$) at the tiny local orgnaic store. Pinenuts are very versitile, and great to have on hand, if you ever do get the chance to try a chestnut, they are lovey though

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Old 10-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Here are chestnuts for you Constance!! Are you sure you don't find a tree of chestnut around your house? It is the season right now... I hope you will get to not only see them but taste them... they are such treats!!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #28
Executive Chef

LOL, Licia, you beat me to it! I was just coming back to put up a chestnut picture I meant to add as well Constance, that I see your point about rural beauty, I know my DH would jump with joy if a persimmon tree spouted near us (I found them at one store, one and each one - which was about the size of a mandrine orange - was €1.50 [euro] each!). I'm sure you have amazing scenery, and an abundance of wonderful local produce.

Another brussel sprout thought is to cut them into quarters and use them in place of Chinese greens in stir-frys if you don't happen to have any bok choy or such kicking around your kitchen.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yes sometimes we ponder about the pluses of living in an isolated area especially when the next door neighbour start bi...ing over the "noise" we make late at night (beh, we never do anything so noisy like having the music on full blast or banging on the wall with a hammer... and no one else complains just her!!), or when we must circle around the vicinity of the house for more than half an hour trying to find a parking spot... And there are many lovely places just outside Rome and they cost so much less....Well with what Cristiano does it may not be such a farfetched idea to create a home-based business using remote administration, it is a thought becoming more and more tempting!!

Anyway we did a lovely dish with Brussell Sprout yesterday, we had a power outage for 4 hours so we didn't have much time, and I just kind gathered, mixed and matched everyone's idea to make a quick skillet variety, but it was delicious!!

I pressure cooked the BS crisp tender, cut them in 2 or 4, sautčed chopped onion in a big skillet, then added the BS, steamed chestnut and some left over potatoes, a little herbs, white pepper and salt and sautčed a little more, at the end poured cooking cream and just heated it through... we were more than satisfied with the result!!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:07 PM   #30
Master Chef

That sounds wonderful!

Here's a picture I found that HB snapped of my Thanksgiving Brussels Sprouts last year. These didn't have the red peppers because we forgot to buy them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post-4-1110555320_thumb.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	554  

Tags
None