"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Recipes for Spagetti Squash

Today i baked and ate spagetti squash for the first time. i intended to make a recipe which included butternut squash but didnt realize what type of squash i bought bc it was my first time buying squash. anyhow, i tried to find recipe but found very limited number of receipes. the squash was overpowered with any ingredigent i placed on it, 3 cheese sauce, cheese, salt, garlic. it was horrible but has lots of potential

can anyone give me a simple recipe? i dont like to have to purchase a million ingredients to make one dish.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
Head Chef

Spaghetti squash is a bit of a enigma when it comes to saucing it Red sauce over powers it. I like a light lemon butter on mine or some times I use a Garlic EVOO and salt and pepper, light on the garlic.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Head Chef

I usually do the garlic/ oil thing too, but once I went to a store that was trying to promote the squash, and they had a woman there with one of those electric frying pans. She made a stirfry with the spaghetti squash ( some mushrooms, snow peas, broccoli and soy sauce) and surprisingly , it worked pretty well. You have to cook the squash first, then get out all the strands before you can stir fry it. Honestly, I never tried it, but I do remember it tasted pretty good. The squash itself is more of a texture thing than a taste thing. There is little taste, but has kinda of a crunchy vegetable texture ( like a shredded cabbage type of texture)
Old 09-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Head Chef

Welcome to DC, Chrissy. Sometimes I combine cooked spaghetti squash with cooked spaghetti, i.e. capellini, angel hair or fideo (coiled pasta). Add melted butter, garlic, s&p to taste, & Parmesan cheese, (& mushrooms, if you like). You can change it out and add sage or a pinch or so of nutmeg.

Or, heat about 1 cup of cream, garlic and sage until cream thickens, pour over squash, add S&P to taste & sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Other ideas - spaghetti squash pancakes, or straws & hay - spaghetti squash with diced ham or prosciutto, & peas, butter, evoo & parmesan cheese. Have a recipe for spaghetti squash lasagna - with fresh tomatoes etc. Will look through my files & post, if you are interested.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

I like spaghetti squash with S&P, plenty of butter, garlic and parmesan cheese.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I've not had spaghetti squash. My preference is Acorn or Butternut, though I do like Summer Squash. With acorn (my favorite) I cut it in half, scoop the seeds, then smear butter over the exposed flesh and sprinkle somewhat liberally with brown sugar and a bit of nutmeg. Roast, then eat!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Master Chef

Spaghetti squash happens to be probably one of the only vegetables (out of the MANY that I love) that I frankly cannot warm up to.

After several trials, no matter how I cook it (method or length of time) or sauce it, that raw-like crunchy texture just doesn't appeal to me.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Spaghetti squash happens to be probably one of the only vegetables (out of the MANY that I love) that I frankly cannot warm up to.

After several trials, no matter how I cook it (method or length of time) or sauce it, that raw-like crunchy texture just doesn't appeal to me.
Took me awhile to "warm up" to spaghetti squash. Think many folks are expecting the taste of "spaghetti" pasta, when in fact, it is a veggie & has a crunch, & dump lots of sauce on it, or overcook the squash. Maybe it's an acquired taste, like caviar . Here's an idea - try some spaghetti squash pancakes, with caviar, smoked salmon & sour cream & fresh dill.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post

me either and i really gave it a chance several times. i love all other squash . cook just for myself very often. try acorn in microwave. very yummy

babe

Tags
None