This casserole is really delicious and different!!
- 1 cup of bulgar(bulgur, bulghur..) wheat
- 2 med-large potatoes
- 300g/10,5oz carrots
- 100g/3,5oz smoked bacon, well cooked and crumbled
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bayleaves
- 1 egg
- 100-150g mozzarella, sliced
- bread crumbs
- grated parmigiano
- Provencal herb mix (or mixture of rosemary, thyme, majoram, oregano)
1. peel and cut potatoes and carrots in small cubes. Boil them with just enough water, garlic and bayleaves for about 5-6min. Drain, remove the bayleaves and mash them in a large bowl.
2. Toast the bulgar in a skillet dry, as soon as they take on a golden colour and you start to smell the toasted aroma (be careful not to burn them, which can happen quite quickly) pour 1 cup (or same volume of the bulgar) of water. Mix well. When the water is boiling and get well absorbed by bulgar (only takes a few minutes) cut the heat.
3. Blend in the bulgar, egg, bacon, salt & pepper into the mashed potatoes/carrot mixture.
4. Brush a baking pan with evoo, then sprinkle breadcrumbs on the surface. Then lay out 1/2 of the bulgar mixture evenly. Lay out the sliced mozzarella to cover the surface, then spread out the rest of the mixture over the mozzarella. Cover the top with a mixture of the breadcrumbs and parmigiano.
5. Bake in the oven at 200C°/400F° for 20minutes, or until golden brown.
Some idea for a little variation. This was delicious as is, but the next time we would like to try it with some chopped and sautèed scallion and/or mushrooms.