"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 10-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #11
Master Chef
I use evaporated milk in pumpkin pie, but that's about it. I too find the taste by itself sort of disagreeable.

But it is a good low-fat alternative to cream, if you don;t mind the taste or can hide it in the dish.

jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
How about a homemade Bechamel? It is quite easy to make especially if you have a double boiler. I have seen all kinds of recipe with added ingredients but this simple version works great for us, very versatile, and depending on the recipe you can adjust the recipe by adding some cheese, nutmeg or other spices....

Bechamel Sauce
2 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup milk

In a heavy saucepan or double boiler melt the butter over low hear; do not brown. Add the flour gradually, stirring constantly to keep the mixture smooth. (If you use a double boiler, blend the flour with a little milk thoroughly then add to the butter.) Do not allow the flour to cook. Once all the flour is blended in, gradually pour in the milk, stirring constantly with a wire whisk to keep the sauce perfectly smooth. Move the whisk around in the pan as your stir to blend the sauce at the bottom and sides. Once all the milk has been added, add a little salt and cook over low heat until the sauce thickens. Blend thoroughly.

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:43 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Originally Posted by Ishbel
It's 'grain-ier' and all afficionados swear it is MUCH BETTER than English fudge!
Thank-you Ish, that makes sense, the first time I tried Irish fudge I thought it was a lot grainer that what I was accustomed to. I make mine with condensed milk and it is soooo creamy, smooth and sweet (favourite flavours include maple pecan/walnut and chocolate cherry). I like a most fudge, but I know that others prefer their's on the dry side Do you have a TNT Scottish style fudge recipe?

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote