ISO: something to do with a bunch of Green Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jennyema said:
As GB and Andy M. know from other circumstances, I harp on this all the time. I am not sure why ... but eveyone has their own little mission in life!:)
It is actually funny that before I clicked into this thread I saw Jennys name and I thought to myself "botulism" :)

I think it is great that you harp on it Jenny. In my opinion it can not be stressed enough. I would not have known about this if you had not educated me on it long ago and I am sure many others can say the same thing. I know that the chances of getting botulism might be rare, but it is the type of thing I do not want to take any chances with whatsoever!

GB said:
It is actually funny that before I clicked into this thread I saw Jennys name and I thought to myself "botulism" :)

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Sorry GB. I know you didn't mean it as it sounds. I couldn't help myself.

Hmmm, I wonder what people think of when they see my name? :LOL:

mish said:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Sorry GB. I know you didn't mean it as it sounds. I couldn't help myself.

Hmmm, I wonder what people think of when they see my name? :LOL:

I hadn't noticed that until now but I have to say that I am LAUGHING so hard I think I'll pee my pants!!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I think this thread has gotten way way off topic for a raw vegetable request.

I freeze peppers all the time and use them later. In sauses, on steak sandwiches and just about anything that I would use them in usually. I am new to using this site. So this may be out of content. Hope not. Have spent hours today just enjoying all the comments and recipes. Thanks guys and gals

I have my husband roast them. After seeding and peeling, I freeze. Generally we only do red bell peppers, but it works for everything. When we visited Slovenia, a puree of red bell peppers and garlic was served as a condiment for almost all meats, and we fell in love with it. I make it often. Poblanos done in this style make a wonderful green chili stew. If you freeze skin-on, sometimes that skin gets pretty tough. So roast, following anyone's instructions.

Still, some people think you can cook at really low heat. Like the overnight turkey thing :sick: or meat at 150. That, my friends, will more than likely make you very sick.

That my friend, is something that has been done for longer than most of us have been alive. I do it every year as do my sisters and Grandmother. As long as the center is to the right temp, it is fine.:)

texasgirl said:
That my friend, is something that has been done for longer than most of us have been alive. I do it every year as do my sisters and Grandmother. As long as the center is to the right temp, it is fine.:)

Putting on my food safety hat...:chef:

I am glad that you have done it successfully, but it really is unsafe. The fact that the center is "done" isn't indicia of safety. The cool oven allows possibly heat resistant bacteria to wildly multiply.

The USDA specifically warns against it.

Here's what the USDA says: "(O)vernight cooking of meat at a low temperature isn't a safe method .... so. It's not safe to cook any meat or poultry in an oven set lower than 325°F. At 200° F, meat remains in the "Danger Zone" (between 40 and 140° F) where bacteria multiply rapidly and can form toxins."

Jenny that brings up a question that I have about Sous Vide (sp?) cooking. I will post it Here so that we can keep this thread on track as best we can.

Well I am still not that sure what I am going to do with the peppers. Most of the last ones I picked were of course not the last. :LOL: I found more and as we got a cold night last night and frost will not be long in comming I have to pick what is left today. I guess I need a cassrole meal. The stuffed peppers seem like a bit more work then I am willing to put in as I am not going to eat them. Also I have to use ground chicken or no meat at all. Vegitarians live here. :rolleyes: I might start this thread again its gotten a bit long and rambling it seems. Thanks in advance. You guys are so helpful.

I'd use portobello mushrooms in place of meat in a stuffing for green peppers. ...if you liked them.

Artic, you mentioned a slow cooker and if I'm reading you correctly, you would prefer a dish that doesn't require lots of work. You could try sub ground chicken/turkey in place of the beef. I'm reluctant to put sour cream in a slow cooker unless it's close to the end of cooking time. If in doubt, go with tomato sauce.

Crockpot Stuffed Peppers

6 med. to lg. peppers
1 1/2 lb. ground chuck
1 med. onion, chopped
1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (16 oz.) can whole tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
Minute rice (2 servings), make according to directions on box

Clean the inside of peppers and cut off tops. Mix ground chuck, onion, whole tomatoes drained squeezed into ground chuck, pepper, and seasonings of your choice and rice (made according to the directions on the box). Put ground chuck mixture into raw peppers. Place peppers into crockpot. Mix the can tomato sauce and sour cream together. Pour mixture over the stuffed peppers. Set crockpot on high and cook for about 5 to 6 hours or on low 8 to 9 hours.

I would sprinkle some shredded mozzarella over the tops of the peppers at the end of cooking time. Just until it melts. Or fill peppers with frozen/thawed hashbrown (cheese)mixture.

Last edited:
This summer I stuffed my over-abundance of tomatoes with couscous. I buy the Near East stuff (easy!) in a flavor you like. I'm not cooking for vegetarians, so I bought plain, then soaked in chicken stock. Added capers, Cavendar's Greek seasoning, a really flavorful olive oil, and crumbled feta cheese. If I was doing vegetarian stuffed peppers I'd think of maybe blanching the peppers first so I wouldn't dry out the couscous. I'd buy one of the flavored couscous mixtures (I think they have something like wild mushroom flavor). Fill the peppers with the couscous and bake for maybe 15 min. Drizzle with olive oil, toss on a few capers.

I agree with Andy in that whenever I cook for vegetarians I sub mushrooms for meat. In some recipes my real carnivorious freinds don't even notice that I skipped the meat! (I'm what humans were meant to be: omnivore!!)

Thanks for the help but unless I can cut up the peppers and put the rest of the stuff on top I am not going to stuff peppers. I hate peppers and I love these guys and I even grew peppers for them but I draw the line at stuffing peppers for them. And lets just say that if I don't cook the peppers in something for them they wont get eaten. So can anyone tell me something else I can do other then stuffed peppers.

Back
Top Bottom