"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-17-2005, 08:30 AM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

Jenny that brings up a question that I have about Sous Vide (sp?) cooking. I will post it Here so that we can keep this thread on track as best we can.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #32
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
Well I am still not that sure what I am going to do with the peppers. Most of the last ones I picked were of course not the last. I found more and as we got a cold night last night and frost will not be long in comming I have to pick what is left today. I guess I need a cassrole meal. The stuffed peppers seem like a bit more work then I am willing to put in as I am not going to eat them. Also I have to use ground chicken or no meat at all. Vegitarians live here. I might start this thread again its gotten a bit long and rambling it seems. Thanks in advance. You guys are so helpful.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:29 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd use portobello mushrooms in place of meat in a stuffing for green peppers. ...if you liked them.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Artic, you mentioned a slow cooker and if I'm reading you correctly, you would prefer a dish that doesn't require lots of work. You could try sub ground chicken/turkey in place of the beef. I'm reluctant to put sour cream in a slow cooker unless it's close to the end of cooking time. If in doubt, go with tomato sauce.

Crockpot Stuffed Peppers

6 med. to lg. peppers
1 1/2 lb. ground chuck
1 med. onion, chopped
1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (16 oz.) can whole tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
Minute rice (2 servings), make according to directions on box

Clean the inside of peppers and cut off tops. Mix ground chuck, onion, whole tomatoes drained squeezed into ground chuck, pepper, and seasonings of your choice and rice (made according to the directions on the box). Put ground chuck mixture into raw peppers. Place peppers into crockpot. Mix the can tomato sauce and sour cream together. Pour mixture over the stuffed peppers. Set crockpot on high and cook for about 5 to 6 hours or on low 8 to 9 hours.

I would sprinkle some shredded mozzarella over the tops of the peppers at the end of cooking time. Just until it melts. Or fill peppers with frozen/thawed hashbrown (cheese)mixture.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:25 AM   #35
Master Chef

This summer I stuffed my over-abundance of tomatoes with couscous. I buy the Near East stuff (easy!) in a flavor you like. I'm not cooking for vegetarians, so I bought plain, then soaked in chicken stock. Added capers, Cavendar's Greek seasoning, a really flavorful olive oil, and crumbled feta cheese. If I was doing vegetarian stuffed peppers I'd think of maybe blanching the peppers first so I wouldn't dry out the couscous. I'd buy one of the flavored couscous mixtures (I think they have something like wild mushroom flavor). Fill the peppers with the couscous and bake for maybe 15 min. Drizzle with olive oil, toss on a few capers.

I agree with Andy in that whenever I cook for vegetarians I sub mushrooms for meat. In some recipes my real carnivorious freinds don't even notice that I skipped the meat! (I'm what humans were meant to be: omnivore!!)
Old 10-22-2005, 09:39 AM   #36
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
Thanks for the help but unless I can cut up the peppers and put the rest of the stuff on top I am not going to stuff peppers. I hate peppers and I love these guys and I even grew peppers for them but I draw the line at stuffing peppers for them. And lets just say that if I don't cook the peppers in something for them they wont get eaten. So can anyone tell me something else I can do other then stuffed peppers.

Tags
None