ISO Stuffed Portabella Mushroom Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
My 79 yr old mother loves portabella mushrooms. I usually grill them like a burger for her. Since she is recovering in the hospital, as she broke her ankle and a couple of bones in her leg. I thought I would bring her a stuffed mushroom as she hasn't lost her appetite at all.

Does anyone have a recipe for Stuffed Portabella mushrooms or even another idea besides grilling them.

Thank you

For stuffing them, I like to precook them a bit, then fill with almost anything, LOL. 2/3 cream cheese. 1/3 diced ham, seasoned with mustard and a little cayenne, then broiled is really good. You can use the same ricotta herb mixture you put in stuffed shells that same way.

Thanks all,
Merstar the pizzettas sound great for her
NoraC sounds good but think take your idea only do with shrimp or crab instead ham.
I also had a thought to make a regular bread stuffing (like for a Turkey) and add chopped bacon in it

For stuffing them, I like to precook them a bit, then fill with almost anything, LOL. 2/3 cream cheese. 1/3 diced ham, seasoned with mustard and a little cayenne, then broiled is really good. You can use the same ricotta herb mixture you put in stuffed shells that same way.

I agree about precooking. A Portabella is a BIG 'shroom. I used the smaller Criminis with a crab stuffing that came out awesome.

A Portabella or two stuffed with crabcake mixture would be out of this world. The bigger Portabella has a lot of flavor.

I'd bake the 'shrooms partway and then scoop the stuffing in off of a tablespoon (don't burn yourself). Give it a few more minutes in the oven to make sure the stuffing is warm through, then turn on the broiler for just long enough to crisp up the stuffing.:chef:

How about a portabella and barley soup? This would be portable and a little different. Use a light stock (either vegetable or chicken) to ensure that you don't cover the shroom flavor.

...Use a light stock (either vegetable or chicken) to ensure that you don't cover the shroom flavor.

Sounds like a great idea! You could make a mushroom stock with the portobello trimmings and some button mushrooms.

I love portobellos. Simple recipe I use is clean out the stem area sprinkle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 30-40 min on 350.. tasty

Just to let you know - I stuffed one with a crab cake mixture and baked in the oven.
The results -- She devoured it. I love it when something so simple can make a persons day.
Again thanks to all for your ideas.

Back
Top Bottom