ISO tips/ideas for zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

welise86

Cook
I have some zucchinni left over from a vegetable meatloaf I make probably once every few weeks...it's the only thing I really use zucchinni for because i've never really cooked anything else with it....I was thinking I would just saute in a pan in butter or EVOO and sprinkle with s&p.....is there any other vegetable dish I can use this zucchini in??? thanks!:chef:

Shred it and make zucchini cakes like potato pancakes
slice it lengthwise and bread or batter for ffried zuke
grate it and use it in stuffed bell pepps mixed with bulgar wheat (and ground meat if you're not Vegetarian- implied by veggie meatloaf!)
Corn and zucchini fritters
veggie lasagne-sub-sliced-zucchini for noodles

not a vegetarian, i'm a meat grillin' TEXAN!!!....i just love veggies!!! Thanks for the tips!

If you have enough larger pieces left to cut into dill pickle spear shapes they are good grilled. Just drizzle olive oil on them, sprinkle with kosher salt, and grill.

There is also a mock crab cake too that people say is wonderful! I'm sure google will pull up more recipes for that than you need.

Add a bit of white wine to your pan when sauteeing. :chef:

I like to slice them in thick planks and then marinate in EVOO, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and sometimes some other things that I have lying around. Then grill them on a hot grill. My wife has been known to eat just that for dinner sometimes.

I have too many zucchini in the summer (imagine that.)
I grow too many on purpose because I LOVE grilled zukes!
Zuchinni cakes are good too.
I eat them grilled for lunch almost every day in summer. Olive oil, salt n pepper.
Wow I need to get those planted.......

I have too many zucchini in the summer (imagine that.)
I grow too many on purpose because I LOVE grilled zukes!
Zuchinni cakes are good too.
I eat them for lunch almost every day. Olive oil, salt n pepper.
Wow I need to get those planted.......

Mmm, yes, I forgot about Zucchini Bread. A real Hunky favorite. My gramma always made us nice zucchini bread. It's hard to mess up because the zucchini makes it sooo moist. YUM! I'll take a nice warm slice with some coffee, please.

I like to slice them in thick planks and then marinate in EVOO, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and sometimes some other things that I have lying around. Then grill them on a hot grill. My wife has been known to eat just that for dinner sometimes.

manga396gx.gif

I just had fried zucchini the other day with paprika and marjoram in the batter. Put LOTS of spice in it or it will be too bland.

very versatile from spiced tea cakes to pan fried patties. It's real nice grated into rice: either jullienne on a mandoline or shred on a box grater, pan saute and toss in cooked rice and stir together. pretty and yummy. As they get bigger, par boil, remove center seed area, stuff with any mixture you like and roast. (bread and herb stuffing, with bacon or sausage, leftover rice or wild rice, chili, you name it.

As a veggie side (or an appy), I like zuke fries. Slice them lengthwise, cut in half, dip in flour, then in beaten egg(s), coat in seasoned bread crumbs w s&p, & bake. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. YUM! For an appy, I serve a tomato dipping sauce - & make up some portobello fries & mozzarella sticks. You can also shred the zukes on a mandoline into spaghetti-like strands, and season w lemon juice s&p. Or, you could make a tomato-zuke pie.

I'm sure there is an "official" recipe for something like this somewhere, and I'm sure it has an official name - but this is a side that I threw together one night from what I had on hand - and my boys liked it. Even better - they asked me to make it again!

INGREDIENTS:

3-4 T EVOO
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large yellow or white onion - cut in half lengthwise (2 quarters) then sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices (1/4 circles)
4-5 medium zucchinie (about 6-inches long) sliced into 1/4-inch slices
1 15oz can diced tomatoes, drained and juices reserved
Salt & Pepper to taste

Add the EVOO to a skillet and turn stove on to MED - mince the garlic and add to the pan and stir. Slice the onion and add to the pan, stir a few times, cook 2-3 minutes while you cut up the zucchinie. Add the zucchinie and cook 3-5 minutes stiring a few times (until just tender) then add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook until heated through or until the texture you want. Add some of the reserved tomatoe juice if it gets too dry.

For a little kick of heat - add a pinch of red pepper flakes.

I have a wonderful recipe for a dish that uses zucchini - it is one of our favorites. I just call it

Zucchini and Cheese Casserole

2-3 medium zucchini, cut in 1/4 inch slices
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TBS vegetable oil or EVOO

4 Roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 roasted poblano chile, peeled and diced (You can use a can of diced green chiles)
pinch of salt
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese with chiles, shredded

Saute onion and garlic in oil in a skillet until tender. Cook zucchini in small amount of water for about 5 minutes, drain and set aside. (This is an important step - I didn't do it the first version I made and the zucchini never did cook right in the oven.)
Stir in tomatoes, sauteed onion and garlic, chiles and salt, set aside. In a greased 2-qt casserole, layer as follows:

1/2 the zucchini, 1/2 the tomato mixture, 1/2 the beaten eggs, and 1/2 the cheese. Repeat layers. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 25 minutes. Serves 4.

This is a great vegetarian dish, or serve it as a side dish with chicken or ham. It is so full of nice, bright flavors. And the last time I made it, I took a picture, thinking I might have an occasion to share it with the board:

2514443472_34987d5b39.jpg

Last edited:
I use zucchini for everything...loooove zucchini:

small cubes in tomato sauce
larger cubes for curry
slices on pizza
cut lengthwise and stuffed with cheese, tomato sauce etc
small cubes in pasta salad
grilled slices with evoo (antipasti)
small cubes in fried rice
etc...

I like fresh zukes just as much as cooked, so I like to use the vegetable peeler to make super thin ribbons out of the zucchini and also out of a summer squash. Then I toss them with a teeny bit of olive oil & fresh cut herbs. Carrot ribbons are also good in the mix.

Karen that looks to die for!
Thank you, I'm sure I'll have an over abudance of tomato and zuke to make this a few times!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom