ISO TNT side dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
We have invited friends over for Mother's Day dinner and have a small problem with the menu.

our good friend has had a re-section of her colon and is very careful with her diet since she continues to have digestive problems. I am making a chicken stew and would like a side dish to go with. She can't have raw veggies or fruit , no nuts or seeds. I thought that maybe a pea salad would be a good starter but can't fine my recipe. Can any of you help with suggestions for a recipe for pea salad?? Or anything else, for that matter.

Have you asked your friend what she has been eating and what she can tolerate well? Iam clueless, sorry for no help for you. I'll keep thinking !

For desserts you might offer jello or pudding parfaits. Ritz mock apple pie.

Are you wanting to make the pea salad that calls for canned peas, chopped boiled eggs (or small macaroni), small cubed cheese, and a creamy dressing?

You can also try some chicken stuffing recipes for a side dish.

Wow, StirBlue, your pea salad recipe sounds like a winner! Throw some bacon and green onions in there and give me that for a summer dinner!

I would use a bag of frozen peas, though. :) YUM!

Lee

QSis: Try it with smoke cheese cubes and small ham chunks. Pepperjack is a little far out but it would compliment the onions. :)

To be honest, having had some serious digestive problems myself, I'd definitely avoid anything in the pea/bean family.

Perhaps a side of sauteed spinach or other greens, a warm potato salad, a rice dish?

Homemade dinner rolls or cornbread would be great with the stew.
Double Quick Dinner Rolls

1 package dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 egg
2 T. shortening
2 1/4 cups flour, unbleached

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl (or food processor). Add sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 cup of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour; continure stirring until smooth. It will pour and be very gooey and sticky (like cake batter). Scrape batter from sid of bowl; cover.

Let rise in warm place until double, about 30 minutes. Spoon into 8 greased large muffin tins, filling each about 1/2 full. Let rise until batter reaches top of tin, about 20-30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

This is my TNT favorite side dish (I have also used sweet onions when vidalia were not in season)

5 vidalia onions, sliced as thin as possible
1 stick land O' lakes butter, land O' Lakes works the best
1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese grated, more to your taste
20 Ritz crackers, crushed

Melt butter. Saute onions in butter until very limp. Sometimes I have to do 2 batches to get all of the onions. Layer in casserole dish, onions, cheese, and crushed ritz until casserole dish is filled and finish with the ritz. bake at 325 for 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom