ISO uses for leftover mashed potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They can be used to top a casserole, sprinkled with cheese and browned. Add them as a binder in salmon croquettes and also, believe it or not, as an ingredient in a candy. I've heard of the candy but don't have a recipe for it. Dilute them down and turn them into a creamy potato soup.

I make mashed potatoes in ten pound batches then, if they achieve leftover status, I freeze them. Add a little extra liquid and they are just fine. If there's gravy in the fridge, they don't last.

As far as immediate uses, my first thought was Shepherd's Pie.

If there is left over gravy, they just get eaten within a day or so. Otherwise made into a cream of potato soup or casserole topping as Katie said.

I love leftovers mashed potato fried. It is one of my favorites. But if you do not want to fry them you can add them to soup, when soup is ready just add potatoes let it cook just until soup boils done.

Stir some sour cream, chives, bacon, salt and pepper into your leftover mashed potatoes. Spread in a casserole dish and sprinkle with your favorite grated cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through.

Stir some sour cream, chives, bacon, salt and pepper into your leftover mashed potatoes. Spread in a casserole dish and sprinkle with your favorite grated cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through.

That is a good one too, love em that way!

Horizontally Slice up a potato or two into uniform 1/8"-1/4" planks...Cook them in the oven, then put several scoops of mashed potatoes atop of the planks...Bake until warm, then turn on your broiler. Essentially making yummy twice baked potatoes... :)

Well, everyone else has mentioned pretty much everything I can think of, with a couple of exceptions.

Potato Pierogies
Gnocchi - not really sure if that would work, it depends on what you add to your mashers. I add to much butter and dairy to my mashers to use leftovers for gnocchi.

Well, everyone else has mentioned pretty much everything I can think of, with a couple of exceptions.

Potato Pierogies
Gnocchi - not really sure if that would work, it depends on what you add to your mashers. I add to much butter and dairy to my mashers to use leftovers for gnocchi.

I was going to suggest gnocchi, too, Allen. But, as you mentioned, the mashed potatoes might not be suitable depending on what's been added initially. Gotta love gnocchi. Yum!

Mom use to add some melted butter, sliced green onion,parsley chopped fine, make a patty, put either diced meat and cheese in the center and top with another patty and fry...Dad loved them...
kadesma

Colcannon would be good too. Stir in some sauteed leeks and cabbage, add some cheese, if you wish, and bake it until it's warm.

Back
Top Bottom