"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Kayelle, what are you serving your non-vegetarian guests? I would assume you would want to keep the same flavor palette, i.e. not serving a Mexican vegetarian with a traditional meal.
Good point! BGD will probably say, "one vegetarian main dish won't hurt them," but that's not the point when you want everyone to enjoy yr food. If you go with the eggplant Parmesan and serve it in ramekins. Kayelle, you could substitute pounded, breaded, chicken breasts for the eggplant for anyone who is seriously anti vegetarian. I suspect that DiL Jean Anne will go for that, and son Dave will keep her company! You could treat some of the other ideas, like the individual quiches, in the same way.
Cheers

Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Head Chef

This is a delicious vegetarian main dish - I've made it many times. I increase the garlic, onion, and chickpeas.
Vegetable Couscous Paella:
Vegetable Couscous Paella Recipe at Epicurious.com

Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

How about cheese ravioli with sage butter over them? Or polenta sandwiches which can be an appy or a side I'd cook the polenta in a veggie broth,add some melted butter and several Tab or more of parm now cover and cool in fridg put it to firm up on a cookie sheet I'd buttered then use a biscuit or round or cookie cutter cut out 16 rounds. preheat oven to 350 place 1/2 of the polenta roundsand top with gorgonzola that you've sliced thin about 4 oz.now top with the rest of the polenta press down lightly on the sammies brush each sammie with more melted butter sprinkle with more parm bake 10-15 min or til inner cheese melts. on the buttered cookie sheet
I have a delightful rice pilaf I got from Andy if made with veggie broth and adding sauteed mushrooms it would be so good.Bread dumpling and tomato sauce gnocchi serve with a pesto sauce,or browned butter eggplant lasagne,Fettuccine with a thousand herbs it's good.or Fettuccine with butter and parm, or triple butter fettuccine.We have a bow tie recipe that you use amaretti crumbs,gold raisins and parm oh so good emmm.
Crispy Artichoke heart,Asparagus with lemon butter and parm, or with orange mayo, or cheese,pine nuts bread crumbs,taleggioBroccoli rabe with bread bites.
OK i'll leave you be now. Let me know if you see something you might like
kades
Old 12-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac

I have two recipes that were real hits at camp, and other places (even weddings) where I cooked for vegetarians. One is a lentil loaf and the other black beans with corn and quinoa. They are both hot dishes. I will see if I can get them posted today or tomorrow. My hands are cooperating these days so that is a good start!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac

This just came into my email. I haven't tried it of course, but it looks good. When I was a vegetarian I would have loved this as a main. If they eat dairy of course. Veggie Couscous Quiche Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I have adapted a lot of main dishes to be vegetarian by removing the meat, using veggie stock instead of meat stock, added lentils, barley, chick peas, or quinoa for the protein component. We go meatless 2-3 days/week by choice.

If I had two guests coming who were vegetarian, I would probably solicit their assistance re: what they'd like to eat for Christmas dinner. And, I'd probably make the whole meal vegetarian. There is no reason everyone can't eat a vegetarian meal. Or, make it theme night--vegetarian Indian dishes. Eggplant biryani comes to mind. I've only made it a couple of times when having guests, but it was a huge hit.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Tofurkey!

This sounded interesting:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/29033-ho...-rice-stuffing

There are lots of other tofurkey recipes.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Master Chef

Good grief, from going from not a single idea on my own, I've been gifted with all these possibilities and I thank you all so much.

One grand daughter won't eat mushrooms either but they can be easily eliminated from many of your recipes. Tofu is also out. This is a new life style for both of them, and may be a passing whim, but I want to impress on them the importance of getting protein in their diet along with vegetables, and not rely heavily on high caloric carbohydrates, as many Vegetarians seem to do.

Again, thank you.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Good grief, from going from not a single idea on my own, I've been gifted with all these possibilities and I thank you all so much.

One grand daughter won't eat mushrooms either but they can be easily eliminated from many of your recipes. Tofu is also out. This is a new life style for both of them, and may be a passing whim, but I want to impress on them the importance of getting protein in their diet along with vegetables, and not rely heavily on high caloric carbohydrates, as many Vegetarians seem to do.

Again, thank you.
A good friend of mine is married to a gentleman from India and they are both vegetarians, as are their two young children. I know that she is challenged to get enough protein in the boys. She does rely on eggs, tofu (she has promised to give me some smoked tofu next time she smokes some--says it is excellent), cottage cheese, soy milk, almond milk, nuts, lots of beans. They do start each day with a smoothie that contains all kinds of fruits, yogurt (greek), almond/soy milk and she always adds nut flour of some kind when she bakes. And, they get a veggie smoothie after school.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #20
Head Chef

Being a vegetarian for 25 + years and my kids vegetarians all ther lives (15 and 17), the one thing we hate most is when the spotlight is turned on us when we are having dinner somewhere. Although everyone is different, we like to blend in. We prefer that there are a few things offered that we can eat, but are open to everyone ( like the lasagna you had mentioned, quiche or whatever). Although we appreciate when people make an effort to make something specifically for us and only us, it kinda makes it a little uncomfortable. Again, this is my personal experience, others may be %100 fine with it. Another point is just cause someone is vegetarian, doesnt necessarily mean that they like all the stereo typical vegetarian things like beans, sprouts, grains, tofu. Heck, I like to eat and love things to taste great just like everyone else. The more cream and butter, the better :) . Many of the imitation meat things ( tofurkey, some veggie burgers...) Taste like crap, no matter what you do to them. Morning star farms crumblers are a pretty good substitution to chopped meat ( for tacos, lasagna, sloppy joe or things like this), but they dont stick together, so attempting to make a meat ball out of it just doesnt work well. Cooking with this stuff ( any vegetarian imitation meat product) is a whole new process. Ive seen many pretty good cooks, totally screw things up, when dealing with these products, because they treat them the same as their coutnerparts, and the physical properties are just not the same. Also, just cause it says "tastes like chicken, or turkey or whatever " , trust me , it doest LOL. Usually they can be used in a similar flavor palate, but just not the same. Many veggie things either focus on just texture, or just taste, or just physical appearance, but few, if any really have them all. Anyway, time for work.

Tags
vegetarian