"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Vegetarian Holiday main dish recipes

I have a couple of Vegetarians on my Christmas guest list and besides a Vegetarian Lasagna I'm coming up with a blank of what to serve them for a festive main dish.
I'll have vegetable sides with our standing rib roast but I'd like to make a festive main dish for those who don't eat meat. This really has me stumped. Any ideas?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

How about a quinoa salad with cranberries, mandarin oranges and slivered almonds? Lemon juice and honey with mint to make a dressing. Mint leaves to garnish.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Do your vegetarians eat eggs and cheese?

A mushroom quiche (or personal sized quiches) might be nice

Stuffed acorn squash would be a good vegan main. Stuff it with a bread and nut based savory stuffing (along the lines of traditional turkey stuffing).
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Master Chef

Yes, they eat dairy and eggs. Love both of your ideas and I like the idea of preparing them in individual casseroles for my young women grand daughters to make them feel special. I can just see the rest of my family digging into a large casserole and not leaving enough for their main course.

Any more ideas? How do the rest of you handle this kind of thing?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

I like serving crepes stuffed spinach and feta. Place 3 filled rolled up crepes in individual ovenproof dishes. Top with a layer of Pasata (or tomato sauce of choice). Sprinkle with grated mozzarella and grill till tops are golden. Delicious and the colours are festive.

Layered veggie bake is good too. Just grill slices of aubergine, zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper etc. till cooked. Layer in one large or smaller dishes with tomato sauce and top with bechemel and then grated parmesan and bread crumbs. Bake till golden.

Veggie skewers with grilled haloumi.

Large portabello mushrooms baked with garlic butter as a replacement for meat and served with sides you serve the other guests.

Vietnamese springrolls without the meat.

or maybe camembert wrapped in phyllo and baked. Served with crisp greens and cranberry sauce or preserved figs.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Since I came up with that salad off the top of my head and it does sound good, I'm thinking I might make that. I also like the idea of the stuffing in the squash. Let me look through my Kindle cookbooks...
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Cook

Ouch! I thought that I posted on this already! BGD and I try to cook special meals for guests and couples during our January celebration and GD Amanda has asked for eggplant Parmesan. I have seen this labelled, melanzane parmigiana, but I have never seen it served in Italy and can find it in none of my Italian cookbooks. There are plenty of recipes on the internet, though, including Alton Brown's "joke" video on how to make it in one minute! You can shorten the last minute rush on this dish by salting the eggplants at least one hour in advance and making the marinara sauce the day before if you don't have a stock jar of the stuff.
A friend in Italy showed be how to distinguish a male from a bitter female eggplant by checking the size of the "dimple" at the opposite end to the stem. Female eggplants have a larger dimple or "ombelico". I have never found a female eggplant in the States though, using this method. Has anyone else?
I always serve this dish in a casserole, but there is no reason why you could't use ramekins; it sounds like a good idea.
Cheers
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Kayelle, what are you serving your non-vegetarian guests? I would assume you would want to keep the same flavor palette, i.e. not serving a Mexican vegetarian with a traditional meal.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Master Chef

I was thinking about a veggie and cheese terrine I made long ago and couldn't remember the exact ingredients. I found something similar and yummy looking that you might like.
Vegetable and Goat Cheese Terrine recipe - Fresh Juice

This looks and sounds so delicious!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Kayelle, I also prefer the personal size serving. I'm a vegetarian in a family of carnivores and almost always plan meals centered around meat and then fit in the vegetarian part. it's a daily challenge. Vegetarians are just like other diners - they would like their meal flavors to be harmonious. If you main meal is roast beef with the traditional sides, choose a veggie main course that fits well with the veggie sides.

If you veggies sides are pretty lean and very green (green beans, salads, broccoli, etc) make sure that the veggie main has some protein and fat. The stuffed crepe idea is a good one imo, and I would be thrilled to find this at a meal. Mushrooms would be a great addition to a stuffed crepe - they have a good rich flavor. Cover it up with a mornay sauce and bake it to bubbly awesomeness. The do ahead nature of this dish is appealing at the holidays as well.

Also make sure that you don't use any meat stock in your veggie dish - I know it seems obvious to most but I can't tell you how many times a well meaning host has served me a "vegetarian dish" that has chicken stock believing that so long as there are no visible chunks of meat, it's vegetarian.

Tags
vegetarian