"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-22-2006, 06:15 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Oh yeah, i forgot.
A few splashes of lemon juice will also go in the korma sauce.

Mel

Old 12-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #12
Master Chef

Mel! - my only suggestion would be to make sure some of your dishes are savory, since you mention apples in your dumplings, mango, raisins in your bread, etc., etc. Sounds like a lot of "sweet". But then again, I'm definitely more biased towards hot & spicy than sweet & fruity, & you probably know your guests' tastes better.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:00 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Hello Breezycooking

I do often put a lot of sweet things, in my cooking.
But for curries, i make sure they are balanced, with sour, salt, hot etc, so the sweetness is not overpowering.
Apples and mangos, i admit may sound strange. But, tonight(i was going to do it, tomorrow night, but i had some time, tonight), i made the korma sauce(because i think curries taste better, made a few days in advance). I put mangos in. It is delicious.
I did not get apples, today, as i had hoped i would, so my dumplings are safe from sweet things.

Mel
Old 12-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Mel for Dumplings:
Cheese Dumplings: Add 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheese (about 1 ounce to the dry ingredients.

Herb Dumplings: Add 1/2 teaspoon herbs (such as dried sage leaves, celery seed or dried thyme leaves) to the dry ingredients.

Parsley Dumplings: Add 3 tablespoons snipped parsley or chives to the dry ingredients
Old 12-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Cool ideas Aria

Wouldnt those dumplings u suggest, be great in soup. I think i will make some like that, the next time i make soup.

Mel
Old 12-27-2006, 02:29 PM   #16
Head Chef

Hi Mel, I read this past Christmas and I am sure your meal turned out great. I wanted to share some thoughts however that you can use another time for a meal you fix for your vegetarian family.

Vegetarian Kofta's are what you were referring to. Kofta's refer to dumplings in Indian cuisine. Kofta's can be made of veggies or meat.

Vegetarian Koftas are normally made with mashed potatoes, ricotta cheese (you dry the liquid first then crumble it and add it to the potatoes, peas, finely diced bell peppers, chopped green chili, cumin powder, cilantro chopped and mixed together to form little oval balls. These balls are then dredged lightly in chickpea flour batter and fried.

The gravy is made with onions, ginger, garlic, tomato puree, cashew powder, indian spices (especially fenugreek) and then a bit of cream is added to thicken it. Once the gravy thickens you pour it in a serving dish and add the koftas to it, garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with naan.

Our sides for a vegetarian meal are normally not sides at all. People make 2-3 main dishes and savor them with naan or home made roti. The sides could be chickpea curry, eggplant bhurta, some form of rice (fragrant with cumin, and peas or some form of seasoned spiced biryani), raita (yogurt salad made with grated cucumbers) and some crispy papads and sweet and spicy pickle assortment.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:07 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Thanks Yakuta

Those sound like such delicious idea. Next time i am in an Indian food mood, i will make this.

Mel

Tags
None