ISO Yams recipes (not sweet potatoes)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neverless

Assistant Cook
Im looking for a couple good Yam recipes, been having a craving lately. Its one vegetable I regret not working enough with, anyone have any? The more unique the better!

canned or raw?

with the canned stuff.

open the can. drain. put in casserole dish. put butter and brown sugar. cover with mini mashmallows. bake at 350 till marshallows brown on top.

rocking good times

Thanks that sounds quite interesting, but these are raw. I actually decided im going to slice em and bake em with orange juice and honey, for some sweet candied yams.

thanks for the recipe though will have to try that as well some time.

I've had many good dishes made with fresh yams (not a fan of canned at all). But for me, a simple, unadorned baked yam (not sweet potato) is still the best, at least for non-entertaining purposes. I bake them until they are very well-done, and I eat them skin and all.

Yep, I love them baked. I bake them and then top with butter and brown sugar.

Yep, I love them baked. I bake them and then top with butter and brown sugar.

I find them sweet enough as is, but I used to add a little butter. Now I just love them the way they are. When baked long enough, the texture seems moist and rich enough on its own.

I recently tried these Yam fries at my local white spot...dipped em in their house dip (which is Sour cream, cilantro and lemon juice) and mmmmmm sooo gooooood

lol... It's a hang over from childhood... wouldn't eat them with out the added sugar. Now, I have to have it.

i have a killer recipe for sweet potato casserole. big hit at last years thanksgiving. can't post recipe , copy right you know. if you would like it, pm me and i will send it to you.

Candied Sweet Potatoes are good....Some recipes start with raw potato --Others with baked, cooled, and sliced. Orange juice, brown sugar, and butter are in some recipes.....Orange zest on top.

I take raw sweet potatoes and cook them in a mix of stick cinnamon brown sugar and orange zest and just enough water to cover with a pinch of salt When done I thighten up the cooking liquid and serve with the the potatoes

Last edited:
In the US, the yellow fleshed sweet potato is usually called a "yam" but is actually a totally different vegetable from the true yam. There are several different varieties of yams grown in Latin America, Africa and Asia.

The most common one in Central America is called "ñame". Here's info and photos: [URL="http://fichas.infojardin.com/hortalizas-verduras/name-yam-cara-dioscorea.htm"][URL="http://fichas.infojardin.com/hortalizas-verduras/name-yam-cara-dioscorea.htm"][url]http://fichas.infojardin.com/hortalizas-verduras/name-yam-cara-dioscorea.htm[/URL][/URL][/URL].

It's usually prepared by boiling, mashing, or roasting and is also used in soups and stews.

Back
Top Bottom