Italian String Bean Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I hope you like it.

I also add white wine and a splash of broth to manage the thickness of the sauce.

Here's the whole thing so I don't miss anything:

Italian String Bean Stew

2 Tb Olive Oil
1 Lb Stew Beef, small cubes
1 Ea Onion, minced
2 Cl Garlic, minced
14 Oz Canned Tomato
[FONT=PC&#47749]⅓[/FONT] C White Wine
½ Tb Oregano, dry
1 Tb Basil, dry
TT S&P
Beef or Chicken Broth
1 Lb String Beans

Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan and brown the beef in batches. Remove to a plate.

Add more oil if needed and sweat the onion and garlic.

Add the meat and accumulated juices, the tomato, wine and seasonings. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer, covered for 1-1[FONT=PC&#47749]½[/FONT] hours until the meat is tender.

Add a splash of broth to thin the sauce if needed.

Add the string beans and simmer until the beans are cooked to the desired level of doneness.

Looks good Ande. Us Yankee po boys make do with a string bean and potato salad which has the same ingredients except it uses some vinegar, more olive oil, no tomatoes and no beef and is eaten warm or at room temp.

Looks good Ande. Us Yankee po boys make do with a string bean and potato salad which has the same ingredients except it uses some vinegar, more olive oil, no tomatoes and no beef and is eaten warm or at room temp.

WOW that sounds almost identical to my recipe!!:ROFLMAO:

Being a Red Sox fan, I don't like to refer to myself as a yankee but I'm definitely a lifelong northerner.

I'm in. I think I'll give this a whirl soon with some bison chuck I have.
Just to clarify, you don't dredge the beef in seasoned flour? I know I didn't read it. I just want to make sure it's not a given, since it's stew.

WOW that sounds almost identical to my recipe!!:ROFLMAO:

Being a Red Sox fan, I don't like to refer to myself as a yankee but I'm definitely a lifelong northerner.
Sorry I mixed up Ande with Andy; but it must be my Genovese heritage. Sure miss Dairy Fresh of Boston. IMHO, Yankee is spelled with a capital Y, unless you're a Reb. (with an attitude) :ROFLMAO:

I thought Yankee had a dollar sign in there somewhere, as in Yankee$

:angel:

Thanks Andy. I have some stew meat in the freezer that I want to use, but have not been inspired. This recipe changes that.

One onion sounds right to me, Andy. It was "1 Ea Onion, minced" that threw me. ;)

I try to have unit of measure for each ingredient in my recipes. So aside from the usual C, Tb, tsp, it's Cl for clove, Ea for each, etc. I also use TT with the salt and pepper line to indicate 'to taste'.

This is what mine looked like... with a little more meat and a little less green beans :)

It was pretty tasty. It reminded me of Gulyas, but without the paprika. I'll be making this again.

Attachments

• Italian green bean stew.jpg
    Italian green bean stew.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 246
Glad you liked it. Try it with paprika next time and call it guylas (or goulash).

I have made it with cumin in place of basil and oregano for a more near eastern flavor.

I made a variation of this the other day using okra in place of the string beans, lamb stew meat in place of the beef and replacing the basil and oregano with some cumin.

I think we like it better than the original.

Back
Top Bottom