It's grilling season - grilled veggies are exceptional

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Please don't forget, now that we're into grilling season (I know, I know, many of you grill year 'round), most vegs do very well on the barby. For vegetarians, grill those veggies, then chop and toss in water and simmer until it's a mess. Strain and you have a smokey flavored broth that is perfect for bean and pea soups and your meat-eating friends will swear you've cooked with a ham bone. Grilled veggies will keep in the fridge for several days, and are great tossed with pasta or rice, hot or cold. A spagetti squash -- pierce several times and grill until it is brown-to-black on each side. The interior of the squash will have a great flavor! Do the same with eggplant and spoon out the interior, mash with olive oil and garlic, and you have baba ganoush that is spectacular. Grillling isn't just for meat, and it is so easy and quite impressive to people who never thought of it. Even if I don't want to eat them for that particular meal, when we put meat on the grill, I add some squash, onions, whatever, for a later meal.

Just had a huge batch of grilled veggies the other day - ready to do it again - I'm addicted to them. Thanks for the reminder Claire!!

And don't forget you can grill pizza too - make your dough, grill on both sides. When ready to make pizza just top with your favorite stuff (grilled veggies i.e., red peppers, onions, goat cheese, feta cheese, roasted walnuts or pine nuts, pineapple, ham, blackened grilled chicken etc. are great) and grill again with the lid down for about 15 minutes until cheese is melted.

Veggies on the grill are my favorite!!! Kabobs! In foil w/ a dash of oil and some balsemic. Or sliced on the thickish side to put into sammiches (you can pop them into the fridge for later in the week too, they taste just as good then, either cold or at room temp!). Roasted veggies in pasta primavara! Roasted peppers from the grill, oy! Grilled tomatoes make a wonderful start for soup base or a pasta sauce. Grilled portebellos are $$, too!

They have those cool little baskets (kind of like cages, where one of the sides is hinged so that it opens up) that are handy if you want to grill smaller pieces or more delicate stuff.

Oh! And don't forget grilled fruit too. Slice a peach in half and remove the pit, brush with butter, grill cut side down until it gets warm and soft. Spinkle with b. sugar, or pour a little bourban over them, or fill the center with a dash of cream. Or do all three at once.

:heart:
Z

Ummmmmmmmmmm I made a huge batch yesterday using: Orange Bell Pepper, Yellow Squash, Zucchinni, and Asparagus. I tossed them with Lemon Pepper, Garlic Powder, Zesty Italian Salad Dressing and a little EVOO. They were so good! I just sprayed some aluminum foil with cooking spray and put the veggies on top and let them cook on medium heat turning once. They took about 20 minutes. I think grilled or roasted veggies are my favorite way to eat vegetables......forget the I think....I know they are!

I'm a little late here, but, I can hardley wait to plant and grow some silver queen corn..We love it and last summer tried out something other than throwing it into boiling water. I used heavy duty foil, put the corn on the foil slathered with butter and added some thyme..salt and pepper..It really turned out nice and we make it this way often even with the frozen ears during the winter..Not as good of course, but, nice.

kadesma:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom