"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #21
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Then there's always Fresh Summer Corn Pudding | Chickens in the Road

By the way, check out that adorable website left here by Aunt Bea.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:57 AM   #22
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
Lesson Learned

Whenever I buy corn, I make sure I use it that day, next day, tops. Well, bought two ears a week ago Friday. . When I buy corn, I always squeeze a kernel to make sure the juice is clear. I'm sure you know milky juice means the sugars are converting to starch and the corn won't be as good. Thought I might be able to salvage them as esquites or something. Checked one of those cobs on Sunday? Yup, thick as library paste.

Two dead ears of corn into the trash.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Whenever I buy corn, I make sure I use it that day, next day, tops. Well, bought two ears a week ago Friday. . When I buy corn, I always squeeze a kernel to make sure the juice is clear. I'm sure you know milky juice means the sugars are converting to starch and the corn won't be as good. Thought I might be able to salvage them as esquites or something. Checked one of those cobs on Sunday? Yup, thick as library paste.

Two dead ears of corn into the trash.
How much sugar depends on the variety of corn. We cook the corn within 5-10 minutes after we pick it for eating. For freezing, we get it in the freezer the same day. We keep the corn on ice in coolers after picking while we are processing it. I only pick as much as I'm going to eat. I don't do day-old corn or leftover corn. The chickens love it, however.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
How much sugar depends on the variety of corn. We cook the corn within 5-10 minutes after we pick it for eating. For freezing, we get it in the freezer the same day. We keep the corn on ice in coolers after picking while we are processing it. I only pick as much as I'm going to eat. I don't do day-old corn or leftover corn. The chickens love it, however.
What corn heaven that would be. For the rest of us, we can only imagine.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
The local sweet corn growers have signs at the end of their driveways (or a corn trailer in the village). The corn in the trailer is picked first thing in the morning, replenished around 3:00 p.m. when people are heading home from work. For the "farm gate" corn sellers, some farmers walk out to the corn patch and pick the corn while you wait. Often, the kids have a lemonade stand, so the kids get to sell lemonade while an older sibling, mom or dad go get your corn. Or, there is a haywagon at the end of the driveway and an "honor" box for you to leave your money. Technically, I live in Canada's capital city, but I'm in what is called "Rural Ottawa." I prefer staying in Rural Ottawa as much as possible. I hate driving into "Urban Ottawa."
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:03 PM   #26
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Last night we had our first fresh corn of the season, so maybe it's time to talk about your favorite way with fresh corn.

For teeth issues, we like fresh corn off the cob. Everybody knows I don't bake, but I have an angel food cake pan handed down from my grandmother. My mother taught me to use it for corn, as she didn't bake either.
Maybe everybody knows that if you stand the corn on top of the hole and use a very sharp knife to cut off the kernels as close as possible to the cob, all the corn ends up in the pan and not flying all over the kitchen. Then use the dull side of the knife to "milk" the cob. Anyway, I fried the raw corn in butter with fresh basil.

What's your way with fresh corn?
This is funny. Here they are just starting to plant corn. It won't be ready to harvest until late August at best.

I like mine on the cob, with butter, salt and pepper. It just doesn't taste the same if it's stripped off. Another one of those things that I loved growing up, and still prefer it like I had it back then. We got it straight out of the field from a farmer friend when I was a kid in Wisconsin.

Now we get it from some of the local farmers here. Most of the locally grown corn is not sweet corn, but some of the farmers will still plant a few acres of the good roasting ears.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #27
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
This is funny. Here they are just starting to plant corn. It won't be ready to harvest until late August at best.

I like mine on the cob, with butter, salt and pepper. It just doesn't taste the same if it's stripped off. Another one of those things that I loved growing up, and still prefer it like I had it back then. We got it straight out of the field from a farmer friend when I was a kid in Wisconsin.

Now we get it from some of the local farmers here. Most of the locally grown corn is not sweet corn, but some of the farmers will still plant a few acres of the good roasting ears.
While I understand your POV, it certainly does taste the same when it's stripped and the bonus is there's nothing stuck between your teeth.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
While I understand your POV, it certainly does taste the same when it's stripped and the bonus is there's nothing stuck between your teeth.
Picking the remnants out of your teeth is just part of the total "corn on the cob experience".
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,907
Kayelle, I just saw something similar to this on The Chew. It was a dish Michael Symon created on the fly so I guess they altered it a little for the website: http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/rec...-michael-symon
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #30
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Ohhhhhh I'm so going to make that GG!! The Chew comes on here at noon, and I always watch it eating my lunch.

Now that's my kind of meal to be sure!! All I need us more corn. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
corn

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.