"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Master Chef

It's Spring! Time for corn!

Last night we had our first fresh corn of the season, so maybe it's time to talk about your favorite way with fresh corn.

For teeth issues, we like fresh corn off the cob. Everybody knows I don't bake, but I have an angel food cake pan handed down from my grandmother. My mother taught me to use it for corn, as she didn't bake either.
Maybe everybody knows that if you stand the corn on top of the hole and use a very sharp knife to cut off the kernels as close as possible to the cob, all the corn ends up in the pan and not flying all over the kitchen. Then use the dull side of the knife to "milk" the cob. Anyway, I fried the raw corn in butter with fresh basil.

What's your way with fresh corn?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Mmmm, I love fresh corn! We had our first corn from the farmers market last weekend - straight up grilled with butter and salt. So good!

I also like these recipes:
- I just do the Maque Choux part: Tilapia with Tomatillos and Avocado filled with Maque Choux Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network
- I haven't made this yet, but I'm going to: Grilled Corn Salad with Lime, Red Chili and Cotija Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network

We're going to some friends' for dinner tonight; I'm bringing a salad with a variety of grilled veggies, including corn. I'll grill it with the husk off, to char some of the kernels, and then cut the corn off the cob for the salad.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

When we get it fresh, I steam it in the microwave, in the husks, silks removed. No water needed. Butter and salt.

I've been meaning to make esquites, a very popular Mexican street food. Dang, that stuff is good. Boiled corn kernels, some of the boiling water, chili powder, lime juice, queso, mayo, other stuff.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Oven roasted until edge of the kernels are toasty brown, and them knife-cut down the length of the cob, mixed with a dash of salt, pepper and butter, and then eaten directly from a bowl! Tender, sweet, slightly salty, the crunch of the kernels... it hardly gets better than that!
Old 05-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Master Chef

Ole' Dawg!! I had to do a hunt for it. Wow! I'll be doing that soon!

Esquites (Mexican Street Corn Salad) | Serious Eats : Recipes

Old 05-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks Kay! The abuela (grandma) on the square in Cozumel made the best. She closely supervised her ninős who were putting it together, and the line for it stretched blocks! She made it in a huge pot, more soup than salad, and when it was gone, it was gone. Had to wait for the next weekend to get more.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
Master Chef

I like it fried in butter or bacon fat as a breakfast side and corn relish for a cook out or potluck.

Don't toss those corn cobs, make a batch of corn cob jelly! How to Make Corn Cob Jelly | Chickens in the Road

Corn Salad/Relish adapted from a recipe by Marion Cunningham.

4 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
6 ribs celery
2 onions

Pickle
1 cup sugar
2 t dry mustard
2 t turmeric
2 t celery seed
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup water

Chop the vegetables roughly the size of corn kernels. Put everything into a pot and bring to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Put hot relish into sterilized jars and refrigerate when cool. This will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks. You can also can it for long term storage by processing in a water bath canner for 10 or 15 minutes. I just put it into a covered dish and refrigerate it overnight, or several days, then serve ice cold.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Master Chef

What an adorable website AB!! Don't know if I'd do the cob jelly, but the relish recipe you left has been C&P...

Old 05-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I like the sound of that recipe, too, Aunt Bea. Thanks for sharing
Old 05-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Aunt Bea, that salad sounds good. I saved the recipe.

Tags
corn