It's Spring! Time for corn!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Last night we had our first fresh corn of the season, so maybe it's time to talk about your favorite way with fresh corn.

For teeth issues, we like fresh corn off the cob. Everybody knows I don't bake, but I have an angel food cake pan handed down from my grandmother. My mother taught me to use it for corn, as she didn't bake either. :LOL:
Maybe everybody knows that if you stand the corn on top of the hole and use a very sharp knife to cut off the kernels as close as possible to the cob, all the corn ends up in the pan and not flying all over the kitchen. Then use the dull side of the knife to "milk" the cob. Anyway, I fried the raw corn in butter with fresh basil. :yum:

What's your way with fresh corn?

Mmmm, I love fresh corn! We had our first corn from the farmers market last weekend - straight up grilled with butter and salt. So good!

I also like these recipes:
- I just do the Maque Choux part: Tilapia with Tomatillos and Avocado filled with Maque Choux Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network
- I haven't made this yet, but I'm going to: Grilled Corn Salad with Lime, Red Chili and Cotija Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network

We're going to some friends' for dinner tonight; I'm bringing a salad with a variety of grilled veggies, including corn. I'll grill it with the husk off, to char some of the kernels, and then cut the corn off the cob for the salad.

Last edited:
When we get it fresh, I steam it in the microwave, in the husks, silks removed. No water needed. Butter and salt.

I've been meaning to make esquites, a very popular Mexican street food. Dang, that stuff is good. Boiled corn kernels, some of the boiling water, chili powder, lime juice, queso, mayo, other stuff. :yum:

Last edited:
Oven roasted until edge of the kernels are toasty brown, and them knife-cut down the length of the cob, mixed with a dash of salt, pepper and butter, and then eaten directly from a bowl! Tender, sweet, slightly salty, the crunch of the kernels... it hardly gets better than that!

Thanks Kay! The abuela (grandma) on the square in Cozumel made the best. She closely supervised her ninõs who were putting it together, and the line for it stretched blocks! She made it in a huge pot, more soup than salad, and when it was gone, it was gone. Had to wait for the next weekend to get more.

Last edited:
I like it fried in butter or bacon fat as a breakfast side and corn relish for a cook out or potluck.

Don't toss those corn cobs, make a batch of corn cob jelly! How to Make Corn Cob Jelly | Chickens in the Road

Corn Salad/Relish adapted from a recipe by Marion Cunningham.

4 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
6 ribs celery
2 onions

Pickle
1 cup sugar
2 t dry mustard
2 t turmeric
2 t celery seed
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup water

Chop the vegetables roughly the size of corn kernels. Put everything into a pot and bring to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Put hot relish into sterilized jars and refrigerate when cool. This will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks. You can also can it for long term storage by processing in a water bath canner for 10 or 15 minutes. I just put it into a covered dish and refrigerate it overnight, or several days, then serve ice cold.

Can I put husked raw corn on the cob directly on the grill (gas infrared) or should I wrap it in foil?

I would leave it in the husk, de-silked, and grill it nekkid, MsM. I don't think foil would be needed.

I would leave it in the husk, de-silked, and grill it nekkid, MsM. I don't think foil would be needed.
Ok thanks. I was hoping I could just do them husked. I am afraid the husks will be in flames (if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all, permanent black cloud over head chance of showers always ............. which would help put out the flames :ermm: BUT then again with the bad luck it might not rain .... ummmmmm :LOL: )

Ok thanks. I was hoping I could just do them husked. I am afraid the husks will be in flames (if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all, permanent black cloud over head chance of showers always ............. which would help put out the flames :ermm: BUT then again with the bad luck it might not rain .... ummmmmm :LOL: )
Soak the corn (husk on) in water for about 10 minutes before tossing in on the grill. I always pull the silk so that it doesn't cause the fire department to arrive. We still have to finish fiddlehead fern and asparagus season before we get corn...because we plant heirloom varieties, we don't harvest corn until mid-late August.

:LOL:
Grilling them nekkid and huskless usually results in tough dried out corn. I usually leave them in the husk and de-silked as others mentioned, but you certainly could husk them and wrap them in foil if you want - or you could soak them in water with the husk on, and they won't flare up on your grill. There's so many different schools of thought on grilled corn on the cob. LOTS of great ideas here on this thread!

I LOVE grilled corn and am looking forward to the season. I just bought 8 for less than $2. Basil and butter, cilantro and lime, a good smoked paprika, the south of the border method with cheese.....OMGosh....they're all so good.

I'll be watching this thread with interest. Thanks for starting this, Kayelle. :yum:

Last edited:
:LOL:
Grilling them nekkid and huskless usually results in tough dried out corn. I usually leave them in the husk and de-silked as others mentioned, but you certainly could husk them and wrap them in foil if you want - or you could soak them in water with the husk on, and they won't flare up on your grill. There's so many different schools of thought on grilled corn on the cob. LOTS of great ideas here on this thread!

I LOVE grilled corn and am looking forward to the season. I just bought 8 for less than $2. Basil and butter, cilantro and lime, a good smoked paprika, the south of the border method with cheese.....OMGosh....they're all so good.

I'll be watching this thread with interest. Thanks for starting this, Kayelle. :yum:
I bought 8 ears of white corn for $1.52 (.19 ea) today. I think I will do the foil with butter, salt and pepper for 4 of them and do the soak and grill for the other 4.

Last edited:
Well, you are all well ahead of us! We usually don't start getting corn until at least July.

Can I put husked raw corn on the cob directly on the grill (gas infrared) or should I wrap it in foil?
Himself hit on his favorite way, and if Himself is doing the grilling I DO NOT QUESTION!

He completely strips the ears as if I were steaming them with water, then soaks both the husks and ears (discards the silk). When he's ready to grill, he lays a good amount of the husks on the grate, puts down the ears, then covers them with more husks. Every once in a while he'll wet down the husks with more water so that the corn keeps steaming. The bottom husks will burn, but not much of an incendiary issue. :LOL: When he's almost ready to pull dinner from the grill, he puts the ears in the soaking bowl after discarding water, clears all the husks off the grill, and puts the corn back down barely long enough to char some of the kernels. Turns out fine every time. :yum: Really, is there any way that is bad for corn? Well, except overcooked.

While the husk is still on the cob I use a heavy knife to cut off both ends. Then removing the husk peeling from the top down is easy. Then I cut the cob into about 2" 'rounds' like when you're cutting rounds from a tree. Then into a hot pan with clarified butter to lightly brown the kernels. Then eat them from end to end. The opposite of eating going around the cob.
This way it's possible to eat pretty much the entire kernel instead of leaving half of it still on the cob......I hope this is making sense. LOL

Last edited:
I had some steamed cobs left over from a previous meal and wanted to heat them. TB put them on the grill with indirect heat - they were heated through and had just a little char on them - a very tasty way to eat left-overs!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom