"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'm workin' on this topic just for you, pumpkin, but it's interfering with cooking my dinner, and I wouldn't want to delay you from posting tomorrow's dinner topic. I'd kind of like to face tomorrow's dinner after I've ate tonight's dinner.
Just for me, I feel special now
You make dinner without Jalapeno's?, that's just wrong I'm still stumped with tonights dinner, it's only 7 am and my coffee is not working! Wish it had Vodka in it. I don't like Mondays

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:49 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Snippy, aren't you busy cooking tomorrow's dinner?

Actually I added some jalapenos to my lamb burger, although they were freshly chopped. (Well, freshly chopped a few days ago. Believe me, those things are too mean for any bacteria to mess with them...)

Hey, vodka's not just for rabbits! Try it with your Trix! Don't like Mondays, eh? You should be where I am, it's still Sunday for another 18 minutes. I'll be counting sheep when Monday rolls around...

(By the way, forget the vodka. Everclear is the real deal!!! 190 proof!!!)

So here's the pics you've been pestering me about.

1. fresh jalapenos (okay, mature jalapenos)
2. after I roasted the yoohoo out of them
3. then you peel the blistered skins off
4. all chopped up on the block, courtesy of a chef knife
5. and condimentized, ready to eat (condomentised if you're UK English)

Actually they're worth buying just to torture and whack 'em, better than canned chilis and probably 1/10 the price if even that.

And by the way, don't even think of picking the seeds out. That's part of what makes 'em good, and roasting the jalapenos mellows them to some degree.

p.s. you keep sippin' the vodka in the mocha and you won't be awake for tomorrow's/today's dinner...

p.p.s. still Sunday here for another 6 miinutes...

p.p.p.s. what are you having for dinner Tuesday? wow, I bet that came out of left field!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	16303   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010022.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	16304  

Name:	P1010026.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	16305   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010029.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	16306  

Name:	P1010033.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	16307  

Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Snippy, aren't you busy cooking tomorrow's dinner?

Was actually eating some leftovers from today's dinner
Made some hamburger soup for tomorrow's dinner. (This could get confusing!)
Daughter was on the internet so I think what I concocted is hamburger soup :p

Actually I added some jalapenos to my lamb burger, although they were freshly chopped. (Well, freshly chopped a few days ago. Believe me, those things are too mean for any bacteria to mess with them...)

Yum! lamb and jalapeno's! Can feel my toes curling

Hey, vodka's not just for rabbits! Try it with your Trix! Don't like Mondays, eh? You should be where I am, it's still Sunday for another 18 minutes. I'll be counting sheep when Monday rolls around...

At least time is going by slower than here ;)

(By the way, forget the vodka. Everclear is the real deal!!! 190 proof!!!)

Trying to get rid of me, that stuff could kill you!
Prefer tasting what I drink and haven't been drunk in a long time. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing!

So here's the pics you've been pestering me about.

1. fresh jalapenos (okay, mature jalapenos)
2. after I roasted the yoohoo out of them
3. then you peel the blistered skins off
4. all chopped up on the block, courtesy of a chef knife
5. and condimentized, ready to eat (condomentised if you're UK English)

Actually they're worth buying just to torture and whack 'em, better than canned chilis and probably 1/10 the price if even that.

And by the way, don't even think of picking the seeds out. That's part of what makes 'em good, and roasting the jalapenos mellows them to some degree.

I'm a big girl, I can handle my heat!

p.s. you keep sippin' the vodka in the mocha and you won't be awake for tomorrow's/today's dinner...

Oh bite me!

p.p.s. still Sunday here for another 6 miinutes...

Happy Monday! It's not Sunday anymore

p.p.p.s. what are you having for dinner Tuesday? wow, I bet that came out of left field!
Hamburger Soup, apparently Americans can't afford bread rolls.

P.S The condomentised jalapeno's sound great! I'll try it

Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #34
Executive Chef

lmao u da funny grrl!

Ask not for whom the bell tolls... Mine just tolled 6 gongs and now I'm up and at 'em! My caffeine level has just about reached operating level... A second cup and I'll be in the zone! I'm drinking WFM 77865 "Volcan Mind Blend" or maybe it's "Vulcan..." this guy wrote it down sloppy. Pretty good coffee! I usually drink TJ's Colombian.

In the end freezing jalapenos worked out to be an unsatisfactory method because when thawed they're kind of rubbery, although if they're going to be chopped as an ingredient they're probably okay.

Broiling them, peeling them and making a one-ingredient salsa turned out to be an excellent method, and I'm going to buy additional jalapenos (over my popper quota) just to burn them and hack their little singed flayed bodies into jalapeno salsa! This results in a broad flavored salsa (due to the roasting) somewhere between raw and cooked, but it evaporates in the refrigerator due to it being so good on lots of things that it gets used up.

The sliced and frozen jalapenos thawed and made into poppers produced limp poppers that still tasted okay but fresh jalapeno poppers are better.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
lmao u da funny grrl!

Ask not for whom the bell tolls... Mine just tolled 6 gongs and now I'm up and at 'em! My caffeine level has just about reached operating level... A second cup and I'll be in the zone! I'm drinking WFM 77865 "Volcan Mind Blend" or maybe it's "Vulcan..." this guy wrote it down sloppy. Pretty good coffee! I usually drink TJ's Colombian.

In the end freezing jalapenos worked out to be an unsatisfactory method because when thawed they're kind of rubbery, although if they're going to be chopped as an ingredient they're probably okay.

Broiling them, peeling them and making a one-ingredient salsa turned out to be an excellent method, and I'm going to buy additional jalapenos (over my popper quota) just to burn them and hack their little singed flayed bodies into jalapeno salsa! This results in a broad flavored salsa (due to the roasting) somewhere between raw and cooked, but it evaporates in the refrigerator due to it being so good on lots of things that it gets used up.

The sliced and frozen jalapenos thawed and made into poppers produced limp poppers that still tasted okay but fresh jalapeno poppers are better.
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell lalala!
Oh boy I love that first cuppa in the morning Almost nothing like it, almost ;0)

I'm on a bit of jalapeno mission myself now. Making loads of pickles and relishes They are hotter than usual though.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #36
Master Chef

Sorry about the half arsed reply to your previous post. All your ideas sound yummy! Was on the phone with my sister, think she has verbal diarrhea lol!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Roast some. I'm sure you will like it. Don't worry if the skins turn black. The technique is used on many peppers in Mexican cuisine. Depending on the pepper blackening is just right to free the outside tough skin to separate it from the delicious contents. This step is often done under running water, probably partly to keep the irritating juices from getting on your hands, partly to make the peppers separate easier. My peppers were a bit difficult to separate without losing some of the flesh.

I made the jalapeno salsa shown in the photographs specifically for photographing (and I only had two left). I usually make a lot more jalapeno salsa than that.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Roast some. I'm sure you will like it. Don't worry if the skins turn black. The technique is used on many peppers in Mexican cuisine. Depending on the pepper blackening is just right to free the outside tough skin to separate it from the delicious contents. This step is often done under running water, probably partly to keep the irritating juices from getting on your hands, partly to make the peppers separate easier. My peppers were a bit difficult to separate without losing some of the flesh.

I made the jalapeno salsa shown in the photographs specifically for photographing (and I only had two left). I usually make a lot more jalapeno salsa than that.
I'm sure I will I've roasted other peppers before so I'll try your way for sure! Roasting does add great flavour.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Sorry about the half arsed reply to your previous post. All your ideas sound yummy! Was on the phone with my sister, think she has verbal diarrhea lol!
Don't fret, your reply didn't seem half arsed at all. Possibly fully... I was organizing my food photography section on my HDD, trying to get the various food shot folders more sensibly named so I can find things more easily.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Just to update the topic, my best jalapeno method turned out to be roasting and chopping them. I described the technique earlier in the topic. I used the last of them now 9 days later and I'm sure they would last much longer...
I can't find it.

Tags
None