Jalapeno 911 ?!? !?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't find it.

Maybe it was earlier in the other topic... ;)

Spread your jalapeno peppers out on a pan that fits under your broiler and broil them until the skin blackens, turning them over as necessary to get all the skin blackened. Alternately, do it on your barbecue grill with appropriate changes. Once completely blackened all around, let them cool off then peel off the skins. Doing it under running water might help, let them dry off or blot them dry before proceeding. Cut off the stems and discard them. Use a chef knife and chop the rest together seeds and all, then put it in a dish, you're done!

I don't know how long the broiled jalapeno salsa lasts in the fridge because mine never lasted that long. It makes a nice starter for more complex salsas. For one, take some sliced fresh pineapple and cook it on your grill while you're cooking whatever else, then chop up some pineapple for your salsa. The pineapple slices make nice side dishes too. Cook them until they've got grill marks and are caramelized.

Thanks Greg. I really like the idea of the pineapple added to the peppers. Now we are heading in the direction of a chutney. ;)

Don't fret, your reply didn't seem half arsed at all. Possibly fully... ;) I was organizing my food photography section on my HDD, trying to get the various food shot folders more sensibly named so I can find things more easily.

Yip fully! This day has done my head in fully! Don't worry won't go there :LOL:
Just too many kids (that don't belong to me!), family half killing each other :wacko:
I'm meant to be the one causing trouble, I am the youngest. Now I'm playing mommy to my older siblings and my own mother.

Shoot, just went there!

Think I'll go buy some more jalapeno's tomorrow and make some roasted. Would have been nice to still have my own in the garden. I had jalapeno's, cayenne, birds eye, scotch bonnets, habanero's, some other tiny purple chillies, bullets, peppadews etc. Home grown is so much better.
That jalapeno salsa of yours will be great on loaded fries!

I just peel my potatoes pretty thick, then fry till crispy, season with sea salt, top with crispy bacon bits, crispy fried onions and grated cheese. Grill till cheese melts and serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
Like nachos :yum:

Thanks Greg. I really like the idea of the pineapple added to the peppers. Now we are heading in the direction of a chutney. ;)
Yeah that's it. It could go into a traditional chutney, but just a suggestion: chop up some whole limes, juice, pulp, skin and all, just reject the seeds. (Limes don't usually have much seeds.) Chop the skin really fine, like mince it. This is a take-off place for many delicious salsas... Bobby Flay, look out! :D

By the way, I bought a couple pounds of jalapenos today at Super King. Mostly to roast them, and I got a 1/2 pound of pasillas too, because the pasillas are the ones I've heard mostly about roasting this way. I have a couple hours of consciousness left (9 p.m. here) and I might as well get a start on next week's salsas.

Really, get those peppers under the burner and roast them until they're black and the skin blistered, then let them cool and throw the skin away, cut the stems off, then chop/dice them. This is a good master batch starter recipe to branch out into other chili based recipes, much like the French mother sauces thing.

Last edited:
I have my pasillas roasted and workin' on my jalapenos. I had a few poppers tonight with my dinner, and saved a few, who knows when you gonna need poppers. My poppers were especially good tonight because I used meat market bacon instead of supermarket bottom price bacon. Yes Virginia, price does matter, and bigger is better--worth it.

So I got more jalapenos roasting under the broiler as I type this... hoping I don't nod off and toast my poppers.

It's now 10 p.m. local time and probably Snippy has tomorrow's dinner all planned... ;)

Last edited:
I have my pasillas roasted and workin' on my jalapenos. I had a few poppers tonight with my dinner, and saved a few, who knows when you gonna need poppers. My poppers were especially good tonight because I used meat market bacon instead of supermarket bottom price bacon. Yes Virginia, price does matter, and bigger is better--worth it.

So I got more jalapenos roasting under the broiler as I type this... hoping I don't nod off and toast my poppers.

It's now 10 p.m. local time and probably Snippy has tomorrow's dinner all planned... ;)

Clueless today actually :ermm: Toast and marmite for me, the kids can eat leftover hamburger soup! They loved it, I can't do texture like that. The taste was good though. I just ate a bowl of the broth.
Maybe I'll find the mojo to make something new later :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom