"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #21
Senior Cook

They are well known in the U.K. for their after effects.

They make a really lovely soup though. To make cream of artichoke soup just saute some onions and jerusalem artichokes in butter, when onion is transparent, add stock, vegetable or chicken, simmer until the artichokes and onions are cooked, sieve or blend until smooth, season with S&P, and add a little cream to get the consistency you want, sprinkle with some chopped parsley to serve and that's it.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
I take it you mean...

Must be an alley cat. Angoras flatulate.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Margi--Jerusalem artichokes are not artichokes nor do they have anything to do with Jerusalem. The artichoke part comes in because they supposedly taste like artichoke hearts, and the Jerusalem comes from gira-sol, which means follow the sun--the flowers turn to face the sun.

I like them, but I really can't eat them--the 'windy pops' make me too uncomfortable.
I said they were known for their after effects in the U.K. before I read your post sparrowgrass, sorry, up until then it seemed that it was only in the U.K. they seemed to have this, embarrassing and sometimes painful side effect, I wondered if it was something to do with the soil they were grown in. It is evidently due to inulin which some people find more difficult to process than others.

Such a shame, as I love the taste.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #24
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
Soup made from Jerusalem artichokes is divine. Boil them with a bit of milk or half water half milk until soft. Whizz until smooth and then add some cream and season well. A very nutty, taste.
Thanks for the inspiration - tonight I'm going to try making some sunchoke soup with watercress and am hoping the two flavors will be complimentary. Maybe some nice crusty bread to go with.....

On a lightly different topic, do you think the unwanted side effect is the reason we don't see these on menus more? it would be interesting to know what percentage of the population has trouble with this veggie...

If I serve them to others do I have an obligation to warn them?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Careful when planing these in the Garden. They should be container grown if possible as they will run and take over the whole garden.

We planted a small stand of them 10 years ago. Still digging up volunteers.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #26

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Careful when planing these in the Garden. They should be container grown if possible as they will run and take over the whole garden.

My neighbor said the same thing as she handed me a basket of these.... she also said her family won't eat them and that she planted them because the flowers were pretty.

Personally I think they are delicious and to date, my favorite preparation has been pan seared with lots of butter and some ramps.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #27

I like them best raw. Love the nutty crunch.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post

That is one of the plants on my "bucket list" of things to grow. If I can find the tubers (they grow from tubers, right?), I'll be sure to plant them outside of the garden!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #29

Site Administrator

My neighbors are beautiful. They are very tall and look like willowy sunflowers. I've read that other parts of this plant are edible but never explored...
Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That is one of the plants on my "bucket list" of things to grow. If I can find the tubers (they grow from tubers, right?), I'll be sure to plant them outside of the garden!
Yes they are tubers. I got a start from my Mom. I think her's came from Gurneys catalog back in the 80s.

These things grow like crazy. If you can get them from the grocery, you can probably sprout some at home.

Tags
jerusalem artichoke