Jkath would be proud - Guacamole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is where my confusion came from I am sure. I remember a few years ago talking about how I planted anchos in my garden :LOL: it was poblanos of course.

Good for you GB!!! I love the stuff myself and could eat it about every day if I had to!!! Kinda makin me hungry now!

I too love good guacamole. But way up here in the U.P., our pepper choices are very limited. And as my DW can't deal with any type of heat, I make a more bland batch for her with Haas avacaco, diced tomato, finely mined onion, and lemon juice.

For me, I add fresh jalepinoes when available, or hungarian peppers, or when I can't get any good peppers, a good bit of Tobasco, along with minced onion, fresh, minced garlic, diced tomato, a splash of lime juice, and cilantro.

Like the rest of you, I could eat the stuff daily. But again, avacadoes can be hard to come by around here, and are fairly expensive.

I may have access to some of the best freshwater fish on the planet around here, but we are so limited in veggie and fruit varieties. That's a terrible thing for a guy like me who loves so many foods.:(

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Not that it's guac, but a distant cousin...
I remember almost every Sunday morning having the same breakfast before church. Since Mom, sis & I would take a while getting ready, Dad would toast lots of slices of good sourdough (around here we get San Luis Sourdough, which has a fantastic, full flavor), and he'd slather tons of avocado dip on top (avos mashed with a bit of miracle whip, salt, pepper, shake of tabasco). He'd bring it to us, no matter where we were in the house. AHHHH! Fond memories!

Not that it's guac, but a distant cousin...
I remember almost every Sunday morning having the same breakfast before church. Since Mom, sis & I would take a while getting ready, Dad would toast lots of slices of good sourdough (around here we get San Luis Sourdough, which has a fantastic, full flavor), and he'd slather tons of avocado dip on top (avos mashed with a bit of miracle whip, salt, pepper, shake of tabasco). He'd bring it to us, no matter where we were in the house. AHHHH! Fond memories!

That's really sweet. And sounds delish!

I’m sure every family has their own authentic recipe this is one of them and it is good I had it tasted and approved by some friends from Mexico.

Guacamole:

This is an authentic Mexican recipe.
Very simple to make.

2 ripe avocados
1 small ripe tomato
1 red jalapeño peppers (or green one if you like it hot)
1 small bunch of fresh cilantro (coriander)
1 small red onion
Juice of ½ of freshly squeezed lime (depends on season the lime could be very juicy or not, so adjust to taste)
A pinch of salt.
If you like very hot/spicy you can add couple of drops of some hot sauce.

Mash avocado with potato masher, chop everything very finely, mix together, enjoy. Keep it covered tightly so the avocado doesn’t get dark. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, or even more.

That sounds very similar to what I did Charlie. I would have used red onion if I did not have chives growing in my garden, but I figured I would save a few pennies this way.

I should also mention that I mashed my avocados in with the other ingredients with just a fork and I wanted to leave it somewhat chunky.

Chunky is good, GB - lets you really enjoy the avo flavor. (Smooth is better if you're eating winter avos)

I use my Mom's old metal potato masher for guac.

I've got to get to the market today - Haas avos are still on sale for 99 cents.

I’m sure every family has their own authentic recipe this is one of them and it is good I had it tasted and approved by some friends from Mexico.

Guacamole:

This is an authentic Mexican recipe.
Very simple to make.

2 ripe avocados
1 small ripe tomato
1 red jalapeño peppers (or green one if you like it hot)
1 small bunch of fresh cilantro (coriander)
1 small red onion
Juice of ½ of freshly squeezed lime (depends on season the lime could be very juicy or not, so adjust to taste)
A pinch of salt.
If you like very hot/spicy you can add couple of drops of some hot sauce.

Mash avocado with potato masher, chop everything very finely, mix together, enjoy. Keep it covered tightly so the avocado doesn’t get dark. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, or even more.

Nearly idendtical to what I make. Good stuff for sure.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mine is also chunky, i do not like when it is too smooth. Some how it tastes better when it is chunky.

Sounds good GB!

Although I prefer my guac to be cooling and mild (hold the peppers, please - they are in the salsa or pico de gallo) is there really a wrong way to make guac - or eat an avocado??? :(

I probably shouldn't have asked that question (is there a wrong way to make quac) ... someone is bound to show up with a tofu guac recipe ... :LOL:

Sounds good GB!

Although I prefer my guac to be cooling and mild (hold the peppers, please - they are in the salsa or pico de gallo) is there really a wrong way to make guac - or eat an avocado??? :(

I probably shouldn't have asked that question (is there a wrong way to make quac) ... someone is bound to show up with a tofu guac recipe ... :LOL:
The amount of hot pepper I put in, for me, did not make this hot at all. There was the slightest kick, but had I not known it was there I would not have been able to really pick it out I don't think. My MIL on the other hand took one bite and got hot in her face :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom