Kale Pesto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stock Pot

Senior Cook
Kale is something I have vowed to eat more of. I got this out of a magazine and altered it a little bit by substituting roasted garlic for raw garlic, which tasted too harsh to me. I also reduced the salt a little bit. You can add more later if you want , but you can't take it out if its too much and parmesan can be salty.

This will serve 6 as a side dish when combined with 1 lb fettucine, some more parmesan and a little bit of butter.

4 c. chopped kale
0.5 c grated parmesan cheese
6 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
0.25 c. pine nuts
2 cloves garlic, roasted and chopped
0.25 tsp red pepper flakes
0.5 tsp. kosher salt

boil the kale for 3 minutes then transfer to ice water bath. Drain it and squeeze out moisture in a paper towel.

Put everything into a food processor and puree until smooth.

It's delicious and a nice variation on the usual basil-intense pesto taste.

I made a whole bunch of kale pesto this summer, as well as Swiss Chard pesto. I used almonds or roasted filberts (allergic to pine nuts). I added about 1/2 c fresh basil to the pesto when blending it. I also added chopped (finely) dehydrated tomatoes to the pesto. The pesto freezes nicely.

To freeze, I used ice cube trays, drizzled with EVVO, and then popped the frozen cubes into ziplock bags. I typically pull a couple of cubes out the night before and let them thaw in the fridge. That reminds me, I better start using the pesto...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought about freezing it. Also, substituting other nuts is intriguing. I'm going to have to try that, too.

Back
Top Bottom