Keeping tomatoes in the Fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in my experience, the fridge not only changes the flavor, but also helps to make them mealy, even if you grew them in your backyard.

most tomatoes that are shipped a distance are harvested when still green to help prevent bruising during shipping, and are often gassed to force them to change color (dare i call it "ripening").

there are "on the vine" tomatoes available, which are somewhat better, but many of these are also picked before they're good and ripe too.

there are few greater pleasures in life than walking into your garden and eating a sun warmed, red, ripe, and juicy tomato, straight from the plant.

Not only are most picked green, gased to "ripen" etc. "they" have successfully developed varieties of tomatoes that are grown mostly for their durabilty....the ability to hold up for long periods of storage, shipping, and retail shelf life....the end result is a beautiful red tomato on the produce table that is as hard as a brick. Then of course there are the beautiful peaches...gorgeous blushng color...hard as a rock that taste like a styrofoam coffee cup....Another one of those items that are best to buy local if available.

You know UB you have a point.....
When I put my tomatoes from the garden in the fridge, they get mealy.....
But if I dont put the store ones in the fridge, they seem to get mealier.....
Must be refrigerated on the way up here.
Wow I am really itching to get my tomotoes planted now!

Not only are most picked green, gased to "ripen" etc. "they" have successfully developed varieties of tomatoes that are grown mostly for their durabilty....the ability to hold up for long periods of storage, shipping, and retail shelf life....the end result is a beautiful red tomato on the produce table that is as hard as a brick. Then of course there are the beautiful peaches...gorgeous blushng color...hard as a rock that taste like a styrofoam coffee cup....Another one of those items that are best to buy local if available.

You have that right, UB. I haven't bought a peach in years because they are all hard and tasteless. I'd love to have access to ripe juicy peaches as they are right off the tree.

You have that right, UB. I haven't bought a peach in years because they are all hard and tasteless. I'd love to have access to ripe juicy peaches as they are right off the tree.
'
20 years ago there was a guy just out the road with 300 acres of peaches....The late season Elbertas...a yellow flesh peach...I just can't describe....I would give $20 for just one today! Today the best I can do are the Chilton County Alabama peaches which sometimes are close in flavor...but not quite the same....Of course as a kid, stopping the car, jumping the fence for a cap full and making a fast get-a-way were the best ones!!:LOL:

I cant wait for some good tomatoes! The ones in the store have been particularly aweful lately...The last batch cut like apples... I considered them inedible raw and put a roasted pepper on my burger instead.... I will keep in mind not to refrigerate the ones I grow or any fresh ones I buy but I dont think refrigeration could hurt the nasty things that have been around lately. I guess we are as far from tomato season as possible.

I will never forget the lesson of the beautiful expesive hot house tomatoes I bought at a farmers market once... I was so excited to get them home and when I did I found them to be mealy and grainy I had to change my plans for them (which invollved using them raw) because they were so bad...

MMM I cant taste a "good" tomato right now.... but it has been awhile since I had one.

Tomatoes are often shipped from growing areas...Florida, Mexico, California, etc acrosss country on....refrigerated trucks, to refrigerated warehouses, then shipped on refrigerated trucks to retail outlets, where they are sometimes keep in refrigerated coolers....and finally displayed off refrigeration for the consumer....I wonder if the harm has already been done by the time we purchase them....??

Not all are shipped that way, but this explains why most supermarket tomatoes are so terrible and tasteless.

Not all are shipped that way, but this explains why most supermarket tomatoes are so terrible and tasteless.

All?? Maybe not, but 99% of them unless they are grown verwy, verwy locally. Plus, refrigeration is not the only culprit to supermarket tomatoes poor quality...It's the varieties that are grown...with one objective...Maximum shelf life for the packers, shippers, and retailers...

Last edited:
Always keep tomatoes in the fridge as they do seem to keep longer. As to the taste, haven't noticed a substantial difference other than the cold and that's sort by letting the one you want be brought up to room temp before consuming.

We get sold shocking tomatoes here.

never in the fridge, unless they've been sliced from..... ;)The Farmers told me not to. I keep 'em in Grandma's old chopping bowl. They look so pretty on the kitchen table.

To begin with I hate tomatoes in MN. They taste like plastic. If left in fridge they taste even worse. I keep them on the counter. During the growing season I just go outside and pick one from the bush.

Well, if you can pick your own, of course THAT is the optimum! I only buy tomatoes in the months when our Jersey tomatoes are the toast of the USA, and only from the farmers. Somehow they don't seem to last long enough to worry about needing to refrigerate. ;)

For how easy it is to grow tomatoes, I'm surprised at the prices they command.

Avocados are another item I don't get the pricing about.
I live in Southern California, the Avocado growing capitol.
Yet, I go to my local supermarket and see avocados with a sticker..."product of Chile."

Another thing...I asked my major chain store produce guy what they do with the $1.49 avocados when they don't sell. "We throw them away and they get turned into compost."

So rediculous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom