"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Master Chef

Question Large White Onions?

What do you use them for?

I do tons of cooking with onions, & always have yellows, reds, & Vidalias, as well as shallots & scallions on hand. Have also cooked with the little pearls & Cippolinis. For some reason have never had a recipe for those huge pristinely snowy-white globes that every supermarket seems to have piles of.

How do they compare to the onions I'm used to using & what am I missing? Are they stronger? Milder? Suitable for a specific purpose? I just never seem to come across anything that specifically asks for them & can't recall ever buying/using one.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I use them for soups, stews, any recipe where I need a large onion. They can be interchanged with the yellow. I'll have to do a side by side taste test. I don't usually find recipes that specify yellow onion or white onion - just onion.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I find the white onions to be a bit hotter...the yellow to be slightly sweeter. I pretty much use them the same.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I use the white and the yellow for the same purposes. It might be worth cooking up a batch of each and seeing how the taste varies.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Head Chef

Raw, I find that the white ones are generally milder. I never get onion eyes with
white onions. Since wife doesn't like yellow onions, all I use are whites. (And scallions).
Old 09-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
What do you use them for?

I do tons of cooking with onions, & always have yellows, reds, & Vidalias, as well as shallots & scallions on hand. Have also cooked with the little pearls & Cippolinis. For some reason have never had a recipe for those huge pristinely snowy-white globes that every supermarket seems to have piles of.

How do they compare to the onions I'm used to using & what am I missing? Are they stronger? Milder? Suitable for a specific purpose? I just never seem to come across anything that specifically asks for them & can't recall ever buying/using one.
As the others have said, they can be used interchangeably with yellow onions. And they seem to me to be a little less "onion-y."
Old 09-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #7
Master Chef

I find white and yellow are interchangeable in cooking - regardless of size.

There are three things that affect their taste: variety, the soil they were grown in, and the growing climate.

The ones we get in the grocery stores where I live: I find the white onions to be more pungent and hotter ... the basic yellow are milder and sweeter, especially when raw.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Another person who uses them interchangably
Old 09-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I also use both, I'm in the white onions are milder side. I like Vidalias when I can get my hands on some. I go through a lot of onions
Old 09-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't believe my store still has Vidalias..... seems awfully late in the season, but they also seem stronger tasting than they did a month ago.

I bought a white onion once. It tasted stronger than what I was hoping for. If Vidalias aren't in season and there aren't any 1089's (?) or Mayans..... I'll get a big Spanish onion before a white one. I'm not big on strong onion flavor.

Tags
None