layered veggies..REC:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Before all those tomatoes and zucchini are gone, I want to make this again with veggies from my garden...
2-cloves minced garlic
1/4-1/2-c. evoo
2-shallots or 1 samall onion diced
4-lg. tomatoes, cut the long way about 1/4 inch thick
4-zucchini-cut on the diagonal about 1/4 inch thick
4-japanese eggplant cut on the diagonal 1/4 inch thick
salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
nutmeg
a mix of grated parm and breadcrumbs
Saute the garlic and shallots or onion in the evoo til they start to get soft, then place in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan, then arrange the veggies in overlapping rows in the pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and nutmeg. Bake for 15 min at 375 then sprinkle with the bread crumbs and parm cheese mix and bake a few minutes longer to rown the surface a little. cut into squares and enjoy..
You can also do several layers of veggies one on top of the other in a narrower pan if you like...It will just be thicker...
If you are a cheese lover you might also add a layer of swiss or mozzerella, between the layers too.
kadesma:)

I'm a cheese nut and I've added cheese to this several time..Kids like it both ways but I prefer the cheese version:LOL:

kadesma

Yep, going to go with the group vote here...cheese would be a good thing - with all those Italian-ish tomatoes, eggplants (what makes an eggplant "Japanese"?) and zucs I think parm or mozza would work great here :)

I've wondered how the eggplant got the name Japanese or chinese. I bet one of the foodies on here can enlighten us:LOL:

Glad you like the recipe...I'm planning on fixing it sometime in the next week or so.
kadesma

A quick search reveals that they are usually smaller and rounder than their longer larger cousins, or quite thin and long.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Eggplants.html has more info on lots of eggplant varieties.

242kamoeggplant.jpg

(Pic of the "Kamo" breed of Japanese eggplants)

ICadvisor said:
A quick search reveals that they are usually smaller and rounder than their longer larger cousins, or quite thin and long.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Eggplants.html has more info on lots of eggplant varieties.

242kamoeggplant.jpg

(Pic of the "Kamo" breed of Japanese eggplants)
IC the ones here that are labeled Japanese are narrow and long like a cucumber the squat round ones are labeled Chinese.. Either would work for the recipe..I like looking and learning about the different varieties..Thanks for the links will go have a look at them..

kadesma:)

This is a lovely recipe kade, you solved the question for the dinner this evening!!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom