Least favorite veggie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where to start. All of these rank equally on my I will not eat them list.
Brocolli, Califlower, asperigus, brussel sprouts, squash, I'm sure that there are more. Never got into veggies. I would much rather eat fruits then veggies.

I will probably get it for not eating my veggies.

There are several.....

Raw cucumbers, pthettt!!! If one sliver is in a salad it contaminates the whole thing. I'd rather drink gasoline.
I'm with Kimbaby on the tomatoes. I like everything made with a tomato, but raw isn't for me.
Most canned greens, spinach, turnips, asparagus, are horrible.
However, many veggies are not liked because of the method in which they are cooked. A lady once said she hated yellow squash until she ate my baked squash cassarole.

Piccolina said:
...Actually I don't much like the texture of celery either, but enjoy the taste a lot...

Do you string your celery? Cut the celery in 4-5" pieces, and with your paring knife and thumb, get ahold of the strings at one end, and simply pull them out. I think you'll like it much better that way.

My least favorite vegetable is fennel. I do not like anything with a licorice flavor.
I don't care for raw onions, either, unless they are finely diced into a potato or pasta salad.

I don't care for beans (lima, pinto, kidney, black), black eyed peas (or is that a form of bean?), okra, collard/turnip greens, cauliflower, yellow squash. And probably a few more that I can't think of right off the bat.:rolleyes:

I've never met a beet I liked. I thought maybe I just hadn't given them a chance. Tried them roasted last summer, and now I think I can go a lifetime without trying them again.

Last edited:
I really like majority of vegetables, I always have even when I was a kid, however I do make exceptions with fennel, okra and turnip. I don't particularly care for cauliflowers, I eat them though... I much prefer broccoli. Oh, and I can't stand some vegetables that are out of a tin, mushrooms, asparagus, peas... though I love them fresh.

kadesma said:
Try some celery root Piccolina, the taste is great, with a meaty texture instead of stringy and crunchy.
Hi Kadesma, thank-you! I've had this in the past and liked it too :) It's somewhat popular in Ireland (and I think the UK) especially since some of the big name chefs over here (and the UK) are getting into it recently. I saw the recipe you posted for the salad and have c&p it for future use - looks awesome! :)

I am always interested in this sort of post/thread and always wonder about the ultimate purpose of it? Validation? Survey--probably not?
But to answer, I cannot think of a vegetable that I actively dislike. I choose from so many for so many dishes I don't need to dwell on a negative.
But in my family I have to pay attention to it because our DDIL does not like tomatoes--unless they are summer types. But she also doesn't say anything if I forget and serve them. There is usually enough that we can make do.

I'm with Aunt Lisa. Peas are just little green bags of dirt. Lima beans are furry green bags of dirt.

thymeless

BEETS, beet tops, beet bottoms, raw, cooked beets, pickled, harvarded, plain, no beets, nada, nope, can't do beets, don't like the looks of 'em, the smell of 'em, the texture of 'em.

beets

Gretchen said:
I am always interested in this sort of post/thread and always wonder about the ultimate purpose of it? Validation? Survey--probably not?
But to answer, I cannot think of a vegetable that I actively dislike. I choose from so many for so many dishes I don't need to dwell on a negative.
But in my family I have to pay attention to it because our DDIL does not like tomatoes--unless they are summer types. But she also doesn't say anything if I forget and serve them. There is usually enough that we can make do.

I wondered the same thing about this type of thread. Maybe it brings out the inner child in us. :LOL:

But I'm with you: I can probably come up with a couple veggies I won't go out of my way to eat, but thanks to a mom who served quite a variety, I really don't have any dreaded ones.

BTW, for those who mentioned tomatoes, here's a bit of trivia: It's technically a fruit but was deemed a vegetable for legal purposed by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1883. Now there's a tidbit worth knowing, eh? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what kimbaby's angle was, but my last job consisted of finding out peoples likes and dislikes regarding food, and the dislikes were very important, had to document out the wazoo what we would do about not serving food people did not like. So to me, this is a natural question, had to ask it a lot!

I like all veggies, everything mentioned, including lima beans, asparagus, spinach, mushrooms (not a veggie, BTW, but a fungus), squash (including pumpkin), tomatoes (a fruit, as someone noted) -- as long as they're fresh and not overcooked, with one notable exception: BEETS! Those vile purple globs trigger my gag reflex; I hate seeing them on my plate, and I won't touch a salad that contains them. Actually putting one in my mouth would result in projectile vomiting! YUCK!

I like most veggies but I can't stand bell peppers. I'll eat beets, lima beans, tomatoes, cauliflower, okra, squash, mushrooms, brussel sprouts turnips and asparagus,...but I can't stand bell peppers.

bethzaring said:
I'm not sure what kimbaby's angle was, but my last job consisted of finding out peoples likes and dislikes regarding food, and the dislikes were very important, had to document out the wazoo what we would do about not serving food people did not like. So to me, this is a natural question, had to ask it a lot!

Makes sense. It's obviously a popular question here. I still think it's that child in us throwing a tantrum over one yucky veggie or another.

Speaking of which, I sort of lied earlier. I don't like fresh okra in gumbo. I actually prefer to use frozen: It's less slimy.

bethzaring said:
BEETS, beet tops, beet bottoms, raw, cooked beets, pickled, harvarded, plain, no beets, nada, nope, can't do beets, don't like the looks of 'em, the smell of 'em, the texture of 'em. beets

I have to agree with the beet problem. I WANT to like them. They look beautiful and are so good for you. I just can't get them down.

...and raw tomatos. My mother said that when I was about 5yo, I ate them all summer long - like candy. Got sick and haven't been able to eat them raw ever. Again, I want to like them but can't do it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom