"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #31
Senior Cook

I'm with Aunt Lisa. Peas are just little green bags of dirt. Lima beans are furry green bags of dirt.

thymeless

Old 09-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #32
Executive Chef

BEETS, beet tops, beet bottoms, raw, cooked beets, pickled, harvarded, plain, no beets, nada, nope, can't do beets, don't like the looks of 'em, the smell of 'em, the texture of 'em.

beets

Old 09-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
I am always interested in this sort of post/thread and always wonder about the ultimate purpose of it? Validation? Survey--probably not?
But to answer, I cannot think of a vegetable that I actively dislike. I choose from so many for so many dishes I don't need to dwell on a negative.
But in my family I have to pay attention to it because our DDIL does not like tomatoes--unless they are summer types. But she also doesn't say anything if I forget and serve them. There is usually enough that we can make do.
I wondered the same thing about this type of thread. Maybe it brings out the inner child in us.

But I'm with you: I can probably come up with a couple veggies I won't go out of my way to eat, but thanks to a mom who served quite a variety, I really don't have any dreaded ones.

BTW, for those who mentioned tomatoes, here's a bit of trivia: It's technically a fruit but was deemed a vegetable for legal purposed by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1883. Now there's a tidbit worth knowing, eh?
Old 09-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #34
Executive Chef

I'm not sure what kimbaby's angle was, but my last job consisted of finding out peoples likes and dislikes regarding food, and the dislikes were very important, had to document out the wazoo what we would do about not serving food people did not like. So to me, this is a natural question, had to ask it a lot!
Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 PM   #35

I like all veggies, everything mentioned, including lima beans, asparagus, spinach, mushrooms (not a veggie, BTW, but a fungus), squash (including pumpkin), tomatoes (a fruit, as someone noted) -- as long as they're fresh and not overcooked, with one notable exception: BEETS! Those vile purple globs trigger my gag reflex; I hate seeing them on my plate, and I won't touch a salad that contains them. Actually putting one in my mouth would result in projectile vomiting! YUCK!
Old 09-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #36
Cook

I like most veggies but I can't stand bell peppers. I'll eat beets, lima beans, tomatoes, cauliflower, okra, squash, mushrooms, brussel sprouts turnips and asparagus,...but I can't stand bell peppers.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
I'm not sure what kimbaby's angle was, but my last job consisted of finding out peoples likes and dislikes regarding food, and the dislikes were very important, had to document out the wazoo what we would do about not serving food people did not like. So to me, this is a natural question, had to ask it a lot!
Makes sense. It's obviously a popular question here. I still think it's that child in us throwing a tantrum over one yucky veggie or another.

Speaking of which, I sort of lied earlier. I don't like fresh okra in gumbo. I actually prefer to use frozen: It's less slimy.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:06 PM   #38
Senior Cook

I cannot eat cucumbers, they hate me, anything else is fine.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:14 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Okra! Bleck. Slimey no matter how you cook or pickle it.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
BEETS, beet tops, beet bottoms, raw, cooked beets, pickled, harvarded, plain, no beets, nada, nope, can't do beets, don't like the looks of 'em, the smell of 'em, the texture of 'em. beets
I have to agree with the beet problem. I WANT to like them. They look beautiful and are so good for you. I just can't get them down.

...and raw tomatos. My mother said that when I was about 5yo, I ate them all summer long - like candy. Got sick and haven't been able to eat them raw ever. Again, I want to like them but can't do it.

Tags
None