"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-29-2006, 11:12 PM   #41
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
That's easy! It's RUTABAGA!!!!! Don't like how it looks, don't want to deal with that waxy cr*p on the outside, can't figure why anyone bothers with it!

Years ago, foodwriter Leslie Land, in her book "The New England Epicure," devoted a whole chapter to "Hating Rutabaga!" I howled my way through the entire chapter!

Old 09-30-2006, 03:48 AM   #42
Cook

Those poor veggies
Much as I love meat and fish, I hate it when a dish doesn't include veggies. Even in a steakhouse i'm very disappointed if a steak sits on a plate with just a just a lettuce leaf and an almost transparent slice of tomato instead of a decent salad.
Ofcourse a lot also has to do with "proper" cooking. (Proper obviously being a personal matter). Peas cooked "a l'anglaise" are pretty boring. but mount them with some butter, a bit of seasoning and herbs and a chooped oignon and, to me, they are the most tasty vegetable around.
Brussel sprouts when blanched are not that enjoyable either, but when (after blanching them) fried in some bacon drippings and crisp bacon cubes they are just wonderful and melt like butter on the tongue.
Cauliflower is not spectacular either but with a bechamel sauce or a nice cheese sauce is something I like a lot. Works great raw too with a nice cocktail sauce.
Other favourites include: carrots, cauliflower, asparagus, belgian endives, green beans, red cabbage, spinach,....
I'll stop here before I give the non-vegetable lovers a bad case of indigestion

Edited to add: anyone ever tried hops shoots (no, as a veg, not as a beer flavouring) ? they are absolutely delicious!

Old 09-30-2006, 08:46 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
I still think it's that child in us throwing a tantrum over one yucky veggie or another.
From my persepctive, it is much more than this. Maybe it is my personal interest in food, but I like to understand how people relate to, feel about food. There is an ongoing thread related to comfort food, and this is the same idea for me. People have strong feelings about food, what makes them happy, comfortable, cultural biases/identities. I like to explore the psychology of food.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:03 AM   #44
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Canned sweet peas....I'm often forced to serve them to my family because hubby & the kids love them.

Raw onions, celery, & bell peppers....I love them cooked, but raw I just can't stand.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #45
Head Chef

Okra. Years ago, I went on a Christmas do at work. We all went for a curry at lunchtime. One of the dishes was okra. By nightfall, I had had far too much too drink. Next day I felt the worst I have ever felt in my life. I still drink (though never as much!) but have sworn off okra for life.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #46
Executive Chef

That's what I like to see, snoop. Someone who makes a scientific decision and KNOWS it couldn't possibly have been the drink that was imbibed.... it HAD to be the okra... In your shoes, I'd have sworn off the veggie, too - the only possible culprit. YAAAAY, you're my kinna wumman, as we would say here!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #47
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Carrots. They are too darned sweet. I add them to soups and stews but when I'm eating the soup/stew I fish them out. Otherwise I only buy carrots because my lovebird likes them

Fraidy
Old 09-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #48
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
Canned sweet peas
Canned peas are the epitome of bad canned food! I grew up thinking I hated peas because all my mom bought was canned peas; she'd never purchased frozen or fresh peas. Gross!

Back around 1991 when I was a mere 31 years old, I went out on a date and was served fresh peas with my meal (okay, maybe they were frozen, I don't really know). To be polite I took a bite of the peas. OH MY GOD! These are fantastic!

A pox on canned peas! Mushy, slushy, horrid things! How dare anyone call them peas! Dad was especially fond of creamed peas on toast. Oh the humanity!

Fraidy
Old 09-30-2006, 06:31 PM   #49
Head Chef

My brother once got served tinned peas on his birthday. I think he was seven years old - he's 46 now. He's never forgotten it. I agree, they are absolutely awful. Mind you, not as bad as okra!
Old 09-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #50
Senior Cook

I do not like brussel sprouts. They way veggies are prepared makes a vast difference to me. Some I like raw but not crazy about cooked i.e. cabbage, cauliflower, turnip... Some in the prep as creamed spinach.... length of cooking time, I cannot abide mushy veggies I like crisp tender.... Parsnips were a no until I had them served julianne and cooked with carrots.....
I am sure there are other NOs but I cannpt think of them.

Tags
None