Leftover tomato paste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think what YT was getting at is that once the can is opened, air can get at it and cause some type of reaction with the metal.

I used cooking oil spray in lieu of oil out of a bottle, but maybe I didn't need to and the chunks would still peal off Ok...... which reminds me, they should be frozen by now.

.Gov citation would have you believe differently:

"
Tin cans

When you have opened a can of food and you're not using all the food straight away, empty the food into a bowl, or other container, and put it in the fridge.

Don't store food in an opened tin can, or re-use empty cans to cook or store food. This is because when a can has been opened and the food is open to the air, the tin may transfer more quickly to the can's contents.

This advice doesn't apply to foods sold in cans with resealable lids, such as golden syrup and cocoa."
taken from: Food Standards Agency - Eat well, be well - Storing

and though I agree that the laquer inside the tins will go a LONG way to prevent harm, there was Not information posted by Anyone to say if it was or was Not treated this way, and Thus my advice was to Remove it.
and can you Always be sure you didn`t scrape any off by accident?

it`s like pork, many of the nasties have been "eliminated now" but I still wouldn`t eat any that was under cooked.

I`m Old School I guess (yet another Flaw of mine).

What perfect timing of this thread. I made sausage, peppers and onions last night and have have a can sitting in the fridge. I better go freeze them now!

I've been using the exact same method as GotGarlic for many years now. I scoop out tablespoon sizes of leftover tomato paste (I use a regular dining tablespoon rather than a measuring spoon - makes scooping & depositing much easier) onto a sheet of wax paper & stick it in a plate or pan in the freezer. When it's frozen, I just peel the frozen blobs off & stick them in a freezer bag. What could be easier?

Oh - & I also agree with never storing anything in its original can. I always transfer whatever it is into a glass or plastic storage container. Why would you want to?

I freeze leftover tomato paste all the time. I store mine a little differently than the others.

I portion out 1-tablespoon dollops onto a strip of Glad Press 'n Seal plastic wrap, spacing the dollops about two fingers apart. Then I fold the plastic wrap over the tomato paste like I'm making ravioli and run my fingers around the dollops to seal well. I put the sealed tomato paste into a zipper freezer bag. When I need some tomato paste, I just cut off a portion and return the rest to the freezer.

Katie I hope someone pays you for all your great ideas! I like that one... thanks!

Very slick idea, Katie!
Of course, I can't stand that press & seal stuff. I don't think it work as well as regular plastic wrap for how I use it..... but if I bought it, that's what I'd be using it for!

YT, my apologies. No insult intended, just a light hearted comment. And I concede the wisdom of not storing food in cans.

Tomato patse comes in a squeeze tube.

11MAZR4TZSL._AA144_.jpg

I buy mine at Cost Plus World Market. 4½ ounces for about 3 bucks American.

Unless I'm making a boatload of spaghetti sauce or mainara, I buy the smallest cans of it.

That way, there is no waste at all.

I buy tomato paste in cans for when a recipe calls for a lot of tomato paste, such as spaghetti sauce or chicken cacciatore. If it only calls for, let's say 1 tablespoon, then out comes the tube. Then I don't have to go through that song and dance freezing routine.

I buy tomato paste in cans for when a recipe calls for a lot of tomato paste, such as spaghetti sauce or chicken cacciatore. If it only calls for, let's say 1 tablespoon, then out comes the tube. Then I don't have to go through that song and dance freezing routine.

that is what I do, I don't need the extra work either.

Back
Top Bottom