Leftover tomato paste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I have no idea if this is the right forum topic for this...

How do you store leftover tomato paste? Can you freeze it? Can I leave it in the opened can and use a Handy-Vac bag on it? Will it last "forever"? It seems like it might if vaccuum sealed....

You can freeze it. Measure it out in 1-tbsp. portions on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper and freeze. Put the frozen paste in a ziplock bag and take out pieces as you need them. I think this is easier than vacuum-sealing it, although that would probably work, too. HTH.

Place tablespoon sized piles of paste on an oiled dish and freeze. When frozen, pry them off the plate and pop into a freezer bag for long term storage.

yep, I freeze it. Not sure how much work you want to do this morning....
Plop it onto wax paper on a cookie sheet in 1 TBSP blobs, freeze them, then throw them in a ziplock. Then you have a TB measured for your next adventure with pot roast.

OK don't everyone type at once!!! :ohmy:
Oh I forgot I also make pizza sauce with it and freeze that.
heat up a few TB of olive oil, add a few cloves of chopped garlic, get them just soft, add some oregano, basil, rosemary, whatever else you like, dont let the garlic brown. add your paste then water to the desired thickness. use it or freeze it.

Last edited:
So I take it it is OK to freeze then? :LOL:

Thanks for the tips. I like the plate idea (no wax paper in the house). I'll just spray it with a little cooking spray.

And since my little town doesn't have a good pizza shop among them, thanks for your sauce recipe, suzi. Making my own pizza is on my short list of things I need to start doing again.

you can freeze it sure, but you MUST take it out of the can! do not even store it for a Day in the can once it`s been opened.

you can freeze it sure, but you MUST take it out of the can! do not even store it for a Day in the can once it`s been opened.

Huh? How about half a day?
I better go check on it I guess and get it in the freezer.

Most tomato paste cans are plastic coated on the inside to prevent the acid in the tomato from reacting with the metal. I don't think you will have a problem.

I agree, but it`s the word "Most" that concerns me, based on that I work on the principal that if you never do it, it can`t become a habit and catch you with your pants down one day! ;)

Using that logic, you should never get out of bed in the morning because something bad could happen...

Well, acidic reaction aside.....
The little globs are sitting on my foil covered cutting board. Seemed to make more sense than dirtying a plate. They will be removed as soon as they freeze.
And I also just realized I need a mellon baller. What a pain in the butt getting the paste off of/out of the tablespoon.

I purchased som plastic ice cube trays an spoon the tomato paste into them and then when frozen pop them out and put into zip bag or plastic tub. Then when I need one just take it out of the freezer.

When i get alot of lemons lime or oranges I do the same I will zest them and then juice them and freeze them in the ice cube trays so i always have zest on hand and juice.

Here in upstate newyork the lemon, lime and oranges aren't the best in the winter.

oh boy here we go... maybe i better go back to the cottage cheese fight.

Using that logic, you should never get out of bed in the morning because something bad could happen...

well, joking and poor equivocation aside. it`s Never a good idea to leave Anything in a can once it`s been opened.

I know of no source that says Otherwise, but I will happily read it if you have one :)

well, joking and poor equivocation aside. it`s Never a good idea to leave Anything in a can once it`s been opened.

I know of no source that says Otherwise, but I will happily read it if you have one :)

Anytime I drink a beer out of a can, I always try to get it outta there as quickly as possible.

It's been in the can for months already. I've stored in in the can for at least a week and it's been fine.

Freezing it is the way to go, though.

But I wouldn't use cooking spray on it. That's unnecessary.

And you don't need to portion it either. Just dig it all out and spread on a piece of plastic wrap. Spread it uniformly into a rectangle, wrap and freeze flat. Then just break off what you need.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom