"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
I love artichokes. When I was growing up my dad had a job hauling produce from the Delta into the packing sheds. It was amazing how many crates of produce....artichokes, asparagus, corn, squash, potatoes, celery.. bounced off the top of his truck. Some times supper was a huge pot of the day's mishap, perfect for our vegetarian mother.
So much beautiful produce comes from the central valley of California. If we don't get some much needed rain to get us out of this drought, the entire country will feel the hurt.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 PM   #22
Master Chef

+1....

Kayelle, thank you for posting back of your success with the stuffed artichokes. I am SO going to try this! It sounds and looks wonderful.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I have an over abundance of big beautiful artichokes and I came across this great video. I like it because it moves so fast and gets right to the point with great music to boot. I paused it the second time I watched it so I could write down the ingredients. Before I get into the kitchen, I thought I'd share it with all of you......

So do you like artichokes, and what do you do with them?
Very simple tastes. Boiled/steamed and eaten with hollandaise sauce or balsamic vinaigrette.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My daughter probably took them. I can't tell you how many times my kitchen has been raided by my kids. You can usually find those spoons in your local Dollar Store.
I had a set once too but they disappeared. Perhaps grapefruit spoons are nomadic.

Never been able to find any in the shops. Must look on line.

As regards the recipe which does sound gorgeous, I'm afraid I have to paraphrase Shirley Conran and say "Life's too short to stuff artichokes"
Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I had a set once too but they disappeared. Perhaps grapefruit spoons are nomadic.

Never been able to find any in the shops. Must look on line.

As regards the recipe which does sound gorgeous, I'm afraid I have to paraphrase Shirley Conran and say "Life's too short to stuff artichokes"
I believe the quote is mushrooms, although I think the life of a foodie is long enough to stuff both.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #26
Proud American

Why do I never see artichokes served in restaurants like the way I described? I've never seen this here.

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #27
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Why do I never see artichokes served in restaurants like the way I described? I've never seen this here.

With love,
~Cat
My guess is the reason you don't see steamed artichokes in restaurants often (in this simple form) is that they take a long time to cook. The area of the country you live in may also be a factor but I had an artichoke recently at Early Girl in Asheville so maybe this is changing...

I routinely see small artichokes served in italian and spanish style restaurants, pan seared with tomatoes or served with pasta.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

This thread got me to hankering. So I bought four small artichokes yesterday. I will just steam them and dip in melted butter. Two for me, and two for The Pirate. But until the time comes for them, we will be having chicken salad sandwiches. We had KFC Original yesterday. It was horrible. Too dang salty. There were eight pieces, four for The Pirate and four for me. One piece each was all we could get down. But did make a massive dent in the cole slaw. So tonight I peeled off all the skin and meat from the other pieces. Cut up a med. onion and four stalks of celery. Will mix in some celery seed and mayo tomorrow. But will be looking forward to the artichokes. Been a couple of years since I had one.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Herry, Italian dressing is it?
I cook the artichokes in the same way and I cook in a pan the stem and the heart to part with pepper and bacon
Old 02-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #30
Master Chef

Addie, I ordered 2 new grapefruit spoons on ebay ($6.00, free shipping) and they arrived this morning.

Guess I need to go get more artichokes!

Another question for everyone...

Do you cook your artichokes stem up or stem down? I noticed in the video they were cooked stem up in the pot with liquid and I've always done them stem down. I wonder which way would be better?

Tags
recipe

Let's talk artichokes.. I have an over abundance of big beautiful artichokes and I came across this [B]great [/B]video. I like it because it moves so fast and gets right to the point with great music to boot. I paused it the second time I watched it so I could write down the ingredients. Before I get into the kitchen, I thought I'd share it with all of you...... [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRrrzpqkuvY"]Stuffed Artichokes - YouTube[/URL] So do you like artichokes, and what do you do with them? :chef: 3 stars 1 reviews