"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #31
Master Chef

I trim the top part of the leaves off so they'll sit flat and steam them stem side up, so that much of the water can drain back out as they steam. It's also easier that way to check for doneness by poking a skewer through the stem. They just seem to cook more evenly that way, at least for me.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I trim the top part of the leaves off so they'll sit flat and steam them stem side up, so that much of the water can drain back out as they steam. It's also easier that way to check for doneness by poking a skewer through the stem. They just seem to cook more evenly that way, at least for me.
How do you do it, Cheryl? Your pics are all so gorgeous!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:

That looks yummy, nice job Cheryl
Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #34
Master Chef

Thank you Dawg, and salt. That pic was from summer when I still had flowers blooming.

Dawg, I just point and shoot with my cellphone. I have a little Nikon Coolpix but I rarely use it anymore. My cell is always handy, always charged, and takes better pics than my camera does.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I use a cellphone too, but my pics don't look nearly as good, Cheryl!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #36
Master Chef

Oh I don't know about that, Dawg, your sewing projects looked crystal clear to me.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #37
Master Chef

I made two stuffed artichokes today, from the recipe on the video that was posted. I had one for dinner, and wrapped up the other one to reheat tomorrow.

Very, very good! The only thing I did different was I subbed fresh chopped baby spinach for the herbs, because that's what I had on hand. Next time I'll steam the artichokes for a less amount of time, because many of the outer leaves fell off once I stuffed them. I oversteamed them.

But it was still very good, and I'll definitely make these again.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
I made two stuffed artichokes today, from the recipe on the video that was posted. I had one for dinner, and wrapped up the other one to reheat tomorrow.

Very, very good! The only thing I did different was I subbed fresh chopped baby spinach for the herbs, because that's what I had on hand. Next time I'll steam the artichokes for a less amount of time, because many of the outer leaves fell off once I stuffed them. I oversteamed them.

But it was still very good, and I'll definitely make these again.
Glad you liked the recipe too Cheryl! It's funny that I also used spinach in place of the herbs, great minds I guess. Next time I also will under cook them before the final cook in the oven.

As you recommended, I cooked my last two artichokes stem up a couple of nights ago. As I said before I've always done them stem down. I drained them upside down for about a half hour and they were still so full of water I had to hand squeeze the excess water out. I felt that some of the flavor went down the drain too. Did I do something wrong, or is this normal for the method?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 AM   #39
Master Chef

Yep, great minds, Kayelle! I almost always have fresh spinach and use it in so many things. Even if I had fresh basil, I don't think I would have used it, it just didn't seem right in this dish.

Your post really gave me food for thought. I almost always have to squeeze some water out of the artichokes, even after draining, no matter if they are cooked upside down or right side up. I looked back on my dad's method of making artichokes when I was a child and I don't recall them being watery at all. He didn't trim them, or open them up to rinse them first, like I do. But I didn't watch every step he made, I just ate them and loved them. I remember being horrified when he first served them, I couldn't believe I was expected to eat something with thorns that looked like they did.

I get pretty good results with my steamer basket, it keeps them up and out of the water. The only thing with that, is my steamer basket will barely hold two artichokes without trimming them down quite a bit. I think I'll use the steamer basket method again next time, and not open them up as much to clean them.

I'm on a mission now to make unwatery artichokes and think I'll try them different ways until I find the perfect way. If that's possible.

One way that looks sooo good to me, is steaming them about halfway, then cutting them in half vertically and grilling them the rest of the way.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I purchased four small artichokes. The leaves didn't have to be trimmed at all. But I did rinse them and trimmed the stem and about a half inch off the top. Put them into water with lemon juice. Instead of draining off the water, I steamed them right in the lemon water. They were really tender although with a lot of liquid in them. I just put them upside down to drain a bit. The Pirate couldn't wait. He melted some butter with a smashed garlic clove and dug into the first one while the others were draining. He could taste the lemon and liked it. Will do that again the next time. Two of them had no chokes. The other two had very small ones. Easy to remove with a grapefruit spoon. A bonus!

All four of these artichokes were just the right size. And steaming them in the lemon water give them added cooked in flavor that wasn't expected.

Tags
recipe

Let's talk artichokes.. I have an over abundance of big beautiful artichokes and I came across this [B]great [/B]video. I like it because it moves so fast and gets right to the point with great music to boot. I paused it the second time I watched it so I could write down the ingredients. Before I get into the kitchen, I thought I'd share it with all of you...... [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRrrzpqkuvY"]Stuffed Artichokes - YouTube[/URL] So do you like artichokes, and what do you do with them? :chef: 3 stars 1 reviews