"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Master Chef

Let's talk artichokes..

I have an over abundance of big beautiful artichokes and I came across this great video. I like it because it moves so fast and gets right to the point with great music to boot. I paused it the second time I watched it so I could write down the ingredients. Before I get into the kitchen, I thought I'd share it with all of you......

So do you like artichokes, and what do you do with them?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love artichokes, they are too "fussy" for Shrek, so I tend to wait and fix them when I am dining alone. I usually just trim and steam, serve with home made aoli.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I only buy the jarred kind and add them to something "Greekish" I might be making, but I may branch out.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Half Baked

I hate wasting the stalk. I use a peeler on it to get the woody stuff off but still save the meat. Since these need to stand up I would saute and add them to the stuffing.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Master Chef

Great idea 4me! I'm also adding some chopped spinach to the stuffing.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Head Chef

I sometimes steam them, then dip in either a garlic/oil/lemon dip, or an Italian dressing.

When I'm in the mood Ill stuff them with a stuffing made up of , tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, Bread crumbs, olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese ( i usually stuff before i steam.

I just recently saw an episode of Julia and Jacques, on PBS, where they cut out the hearts and stiffed them with a mushroom and shallot mixture, and also a spinach mixture. I haven't tried this yet , but its on my list of things to do.

Julia & Jacques Cooking at Home _ Vegetables - Video Dailymotion

Sometimes, ill find a bunch on the discount rack. The outer leaves dont look so good, but I'll strip them, and just use the hearts and stem. Ill quarter them, fry them up in some olive oil and garlic, sprinkle with salt and parmesan cheese and serve as an appetizer.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a set of four grapefruit spoons. They have serrated tips and make removing the choke much easier. And they are small enough that they fit right down into the inside of the artichoke.

Correction: I HAD four grapefruit spoons. My daughter confiscated two of them. For her artichokes.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #8
Master Chef

I used to have those spoons too Addie. Don't know what became of them so I need at least one more for this job. It sure would make the job easier.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I used to have those spoons too Addie. Don't know what became of them so I need at least one more for this job. It sure would make the job easier.
My daughter probably took them. I can't tell you how many times my kitchen has been raided by my kids. You can usually find those spoons in your local Dollar Store.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #10
Proud American

We don't trim them. We do cut the stem where it is equal and flat up against it, then we boil them until you can insert a fork into the stem easily.

We serve them whole, and peel the leaves and dip them into a cup of melted butter, cracked black pepper, and a little bit of garlic powder. We scrape the meat part off the leaves with our teeth and discard the leaves.

When we get to the heart, we scrape off all of that scruffy part with a knife, then we cut up the heart of it into bite sized pieces into our cups, and eat that.

It's so very good! Does anyone do this?

With love,
~Cat

Tags
recipe

Let's talk artichokes.. I have an over abundance of big beautiful artichokes and I came across this [B]great [/B]video. I like it because it moves so fast and gets right to the point with great music to boot. I paused it the second time I watched it so I could write down the ingredients. Before I get into the kitchen, I thought I'd share it with all of you...... [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRrrzpqkuvY"]Stuffed Artichokes - YouTube[/URL] So do you like artichokes, and what do you do with them? :chef: 3 stars 1 reviews