Let's talk mushrooms. anything--just bring it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
have you heard about the $80 hot dog they're selling in massachusetts? it's a 1/2 lb. beef wiener coated with truffle oil, dusted with ground-up porcini mushrooms, and topped with white truffle shavings. there's also some caviar and a specialty bread involved. would you buy one of these dogs? i think i might go halvesies....:)

caviar and truffles on a hot dog?

that's worse than lipstick on a pig!

earthy, fishy/salty, and the spice of a hot dog? yuk!!!

I used to use this recipe often many years ago when i felt it ws great diet food. I actually adapeted it from a simple dish served at a restaurant where I worked about a million years ago.

1 slice dry toast
1 sliced green onion
4 ounces of cooked mushrooms
1 slice of your favorite cheese
Place onions, mushrooms and then cheese on top of the toast and broil until cheese is melted and until the cheese just begins to brown. Serve hot.
Like I said very simple but it makes a really yummy lunch.

Oh my gosh, it just occurs to me how much better this would be if the mushrooms were marinated in wine!!!

Last edited:
I used to use this recipe often many years ago when i felt it ws great diet food. I actually adapeted it from a simple dish served at a restaurant where I worked about a million years ago.

1 slice dry toast
1 sliced green onion
4 ounces of cooked mushrooms
1 slice of your favorite cheese
Place onions, mushrooms and then cheese on top of the toast and broil until cheese is melted and until the cheese just begins to brown. Serve hot.
Like I said very simple but it makes a really yummy lunch.

Oh my gosh, it just occurs to me how much better this would be if the mushrooms were marinated in wine!!!

easy-breezy yummy sounding open-faced sandwich, thanks!

One thing I've always wanted to do (but haven't had a lucky friend who had extras in a few years) was stuff a morel. They are so dirty and buggy that I usually slice in half to clean, then semi-dehydrate and freeze. But that hollow stem and crown just cry out for stuffing, if I could figure a good way to clean them first.

Foraging is such fun if you have a good guide (I'd never do it on my own ... wild mushrooms are expensive and people have been known to shoot to protect what they consider their fields, not to mention the poisoning possibilities). But I did it the first time as a little girl with Opa (he wasn't really my own grandfather but a friend of my parents' father) in Germany, then with a group of young men here. I do remember Opa's first lesson: Those beautiful red-with-white-polka-dots fairy-tale mushrooms are deadly!

i'll bet cws will swing by here with some good morel ideas for us, and some on mushroom foraging as well--she's our resident expert on morels r us, and much more. :)

tonight's dinner will be a stir-fry (using up leftover poke and shrimp from the weekend), and I just love reconstituted tree ears for their crunch!

please help me do justice to this pile of fresh oyster mushrooms i brought home. i am just now hearing about the seafood characteristics of this remarkable mushroom, in taste and smell as well as in its recognizable oyster shape. does anyone have a recipe that would utilize and showcase these mushrooms without the use of too many unfamiliar ingredients? the simpler the recipe the better. wow, these are really some beautiful, whitish and delicately textured, mushrooms. they may become a favorite if i learn to use them well. thank you.

...so, here's how i used (massacred) my beautiful clusters of oyster mushrooms: incidentally, the texture is sublime and it is a joy just cutting them up. i sauted together with onion, rough cuts of mushrooms, then added them to a pot of chicken thighs that i had already bubbling in a stew pot with cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, and zinfandel. new potatoes, carrot discs and white parts of green onions joined the mushrooms and bubbled happily away for a while. meanwhile, in a separate pot, i boiled some panni potato dumplings. boy, are they nice...when my stew was ready, i added some of the dumplings and cuts of green onion and dill in to the pot. another shot of wine, and done! wow, this may have been a poor use of those lovely oyster mushrooms, but i've never had such incrediblly rich, creamy, mushroomy flavored chicken stew in my kitchen before. the gluey, sticky, starchy little dumplings added a new dimension of texture and flavor to this humble comfort dish, too. i'd still like to hear from you with ideas or recipes for oyster mushrooms. momentarily, at least, they are my favorite mushrooms. (i had a separate little pile of them on my plate with the stew--soft, chewy, earthy, delightful!) i will definitely buy these guys again when i see them on sale. hopefully, i'll have a recipe worthier of them next time--hint, hint.... :)

lp, your mushrooms gratin has become my go to dish when i have some fresh mushrooms i need to cook up quick and good. the ingredients are always on hand ('cept i used provolone today--fine) and this gooey yummy dish keeps well, plus it makes a great little side that goes w/most everything....

Back
Top Bottom