"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I find kale lasting an amazingly long time when it's in the right position in the refrigerator.
Really? What position is that? I find mine starts to go yellow quite quickly.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Yep, cabbage lasts a long time. So does cauliflower.
I'm pretty sure cauliflower lasts a looong time at Andy's house, too
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Yep, cabbage lasts a long time. So does cauliflower.
I'm pretty sure cauliflower lasts a looong time at Andy's house, too
I wonder if Andy knows what buckshot does to cauliflower???
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Of course I like cooking from fresh ingredients, but "fresh" depends on the specific ingredient. Some stay fresh longer.

Some ingredients are "fresh" or "like fresh" for months... Others die ignominious deaths in your crisper drawer in mere days. Like green onions or bag lettuce...
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
GLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Near Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Really? What position is that? I find mine starts to go yellow quite quickly.
(About where in the refrigerator kale kept well.)

Well, you know, I guess I need to check the temperature at that point, but it's in a bottom drawer. It's a French door model with a full width shallow drawer at the bottom and two standard type drawers above that. Maytag calls it a "deli drawer." The remaining kale that I never got around to using, after six weeks, started to get dry brown areas on the edges. Stayed green, except touches of brown where it started to dry. Of course, it was a very fresh local urban farm product, if that made any difference.
__________________
"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
(About where in the refrigerator kale kept well.)

Well, you know, I guess I need to check the temperature at that point, but it's in a bottom drawer. It's a French door model with a full width shallow drawer at the bottom and two standard type drawers above that. Maytag calls it a "deli drawer." The remaining kale that I never got around to using, after six weeks, started to get dry brown areas on the edges. Stayed green, except touches of brown where it started to dry. Of course, it was a very fresh local urban farm product, if that made any difference.
Hmmm, I think I should try in the Tupperware crisper. I have it where one of the crisper drawers used to be. I sometimes forget I have it.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Whenever I buy kale, it's the first thing I cook. I love the color and the taste. It never gets to "sit" around in my fridge.

I love the taste of fresh kale. With bacon or ham hocks..... MMmmmmmm!
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Whenever I buy kale, it's the first thing I cook. I love the color and the taste. It never gets to "sit" around in my fridge.

I love the taste of fresh kale. With bacon or ham hocks..... MMmmmmmm!
How do you do it when you have it with bacon?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I want to hear more about kale too. It's teasing me at the market, haunting me when I see it. I just know I'll like kale as much as I like gailan...
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I want to hear more about kale too. It's teasing me at the market, haunting me when I see it. I just know I'll like kale as much as I like gailan...
Don't forget to make some kale chips, but remember to get organic kale.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
vegetables

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.