"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for a Mashed Cauliflower recipe

Hi ,some time ago my sister made a cauliflower recipe which was mashed and somewhat milky in consistency...(she cant remember it) but i remember it had some spices in it which were quite pleasant...
Anyone ever done this type of vegetable like that?any ideas for recipes would be appreciated,thanks

Old 02-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Head Chef

This is an acceptable substitute for mashed potatoes for people who are on low carb or lo-cal diets.

Here's how I do mine:

Cut out all the core of a head of cauliflower. Slice the flowerettes and place them in a steamer, along with at least 6 cloves of garlic (whole is fine).

Steam for 15 minutes or until tender. While still hot, mash the cauliflower and garlic with a hand masher first. Add some butter (or butter spray), milk (or cream), salt, pepper, and minced fresh parsley or parsley flakes. Add more garlic powder if it's not garlicky enough.

I like to use a hand blender to make it smooth.

This is good stuff!

Lee

Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
This is an acceptable substitute for mashed potatoes for people who are on low carb or lo-cal diets.

Here's how I do mine:

Cut out all the core of a head of cauliflower. Slice the flowerettes and place them in a steamer, along with at least 6 cloves of garlic (whole is fine).

Steam for 15 minutes or until tender. While still hot, mash the cauliflower and garlic with a hand masher first. Add some butter (or butter spray), milk (or cream), salt, pepper, and minced fresh parsley or parsley flakes. Add more garlic powder if it's not garlicky enough.

I like to use a hand blender to make it smooth.

This is good stuff!

Lee
Thanks Lee, this looks yummy.
kadesma
Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Yep, I just make mine like I would be making mashed potatoes. IMHO I would not use a spray on butter unless you knew it didn't contain any kind of chemicals in it. I would use regular butter or whatever it that you use.

I have just used plain salt, pepper, and milk/cream - it turns out great! Just be sure to drain well because water really holds in those floweretes and cause it to be watery.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Cook

I saw Rachael Ray do them once on her show. She used salt, pepper, and nutmeg to season it and also added cheese.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
Head Chef

This is great grilled!
I break the cauliflower into chunks, and drizzle it with melted garlic butter.
Then throw it on a hot grill and let it cook for about 5 minutes, flip it, 5 more...
It is OK if it chars up some, in fact that is good.

Then you can finish it in a foil pouch on the grill or in the oven.
Cut it into smaller pieces, drizzle generously with more garlic butter, to which a
bit of nutmeg has been added. Give it a good 40 minutes on a medium grill or 300
degree oven to achieve that butter softness... YUM!
Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
This is great grilled!
I break the cauliflower into chunks, and drizzle it with melted garlic butter.
Then throw it on a hot grill and let it cook for about 5 minutes, flip it, 5 more...
It is OK if it chars up some, in fact that is good.

Then you can finish it in a foil pouch on the grill or in the oven.
Cut it into smaller pieces, drizzle generously with more garlic butter, to which a
bit of nutmeg has been added. Give it a good 40 minutes on a medium grill or 300
degree oven to achieve that butter softness... YUM!
Have you ever roasted it in the oven? It's wonderful! I will definitely try grilling this summer! THANKS!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I am sure the South Beach web site has the recipe, as that is where it originated. I know the original South Beach Diet book had it. You might also be able to find it on the FoodTV web site. That emaciated guy that did the low carb show made them once.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Master Chef

I have four great recipes for mashed cauliflower (sour cream, different cheeses (cream & cheddar), buttermilk, bacon, etc.), but they're not mine so I can't post them here.

If anyone is interested, PM me with your e-mail address & I'll be more than happy to send all 4 to you.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
IMHO I would not use a spray on butter unless you knew it didn't contain any kind of chemicals in it. I would use regular butter or whatever it that you use.
The buttery spray is a great Weight Watcher's tip. I love real butter as much as the next person but this spray has a nice buttery flavor with 0 calories and 0 cholesterol. I always use it when dieting and often times, when not. When I'm not dieting, I don't bother with mashed cauliflower anyway - I go with mashed potatoes.

Maybe YT or someone can help out with this. Is there anything harmful in it? I hope not, because it's really good on vegetables, and allows me to save calories for something else.

The unfamiliar ingredients are: xanthan gum, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, lactic acid, potassium sorbate, calcium insodium EDTA, palmitate, beta carotene

Lee

Tags
None