"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Certified Cake Maniac

LP's "Famous" Glazed Carrots

The word "famous" is in quotes in the title because it really isn't all that famous at all.

I made this recipe (from a local cookbook) long before I went to culinary school for my first Christmas dinner with TB's family two years before we were married.

They loved it and ever since the only thing besides a dessert I can bring is my "famous" carrots. I keep telling them, that I can bring other items but they want the carrots. I make gravy when I am there, but it is the carrots they love. I have elevated it ever so slightly changing up the mustard from regular yellow, but this is basically it.

LP's "Famous" Carrots

2 lbs carrots sliced
1/4 cup melted butter
2 TBSP brown sugar
2 TBSP Dijon or grainy mustard
Salt and Pepper

Cook carrots in boiling salted water or steam them until tender crisp. Transfer carrots to a colander (or leave in steam insert and empty water from the pot.

Add butter, brown sugar and mustard to the hot pot and stir until combined and hot. Add carrots to pot, stir to combine. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve.

Fresh parsley can be added to the butter mixture as well.

Maybe they will become famous for you too

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I will have to try this LP. I sometimes add a little snipped fresh herb(s) or grated ginger in a lemon and butter sauce. This looks like it will glaze nicely. And ta-da. More affordable than buying hot house herbs out of season right now.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Copied and pasted into Pepperplate.
Thanks LP.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Thanks LP! I was looking for a glazed carrot recipe, and this sounds lovely :)
Old 12-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Master Chef

That sounds delish LB and I'll give them a try.

I like to use baby carrots with a glaze of butter, honey, lemon juice and ground ginger.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Master Chef

Great way to dress up carrots!

Try swapping out the brown sugar and mustard for an equal amount of real maple syrup, delish!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Great way to dress up carrots!

Try swapping out the brown sugar and mustard for an equal amount of real maple syrup, delish!
I do like maple syrup as a glaze, Aunt Bea. It is very different from mine where the mustard, not the sweet is truly the star!

Old 12-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I'll have to try that with the mustard. I do my glazed carrots in one saute pan, start to finish. I put water, butter, salt and carrots in at the same time and cover. Over med-high heat. The water will evaporate, Steaming the carrots and leaving the butter. I continue from that point. Brandy or bourbon somehow finds their way into the glaze.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Master Chef

The brown sugar-mustard/honey-mustard also works wonderfully as a glaze for ham, and most pork products too. Whoda thunk it, a glaze that works for pork and carrots. I wonder what else it would work with?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

Honey mustard sauce is used for dipping chicken wings - not for me though. Only ranch dressing makes it on my wings!

Tags
carrot, carrots, glaze, recipe

LP's "Famous" Glazed Carrots The word "famous" is in quotes in the title because it really isn't all that famous at all. I made this recipe (from a local cookbook) long before I went to culinary school for my first Christmas dinner with TB's family two years before we were married. They loved it and ever since the only thing besides a dessert I can bring is my "famous" carrots. I keep telling them, that I can bring other items but they want the carrots. I make gravy when I am there, but it is the carrots they love. I have elevated it ever so slightly changing up the mustard from regular yellow, but this is basically it. [B]LP's "Famous" Carrots[/B] 2 lbs carrots sliced 1/4 cup melted butter 2 TBSP brown sugar 2 TBSP Dijon or grainy mustard Salt and Pepper Cook carrots in boiling salted water or steam them until tender crisp. Transfer carrots to a colander (or leave in steam insert and empty water from the pot. Add butter, brown sugar and mustard to the hot pot and stir until combined and hot. Add carrots to pot, stir to combine. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve. Fresh parsley can be added to the butter mixture as well. Maybe they will become famous for you too :lol: 3 stars 1 reviews