Make a Dish Vegetarian Friendly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm leaning towards the portobellos as a meat substitute. I may try a dry run this weekend.

Sounds like you have never dined with those Indian people. If you went to their home, you would be eating their style food. Do you think they are going to prepare something they think will be your food. They should bring their manners, sit down to a thoughtful invitation, and be filled by your friendship. They eat as much fastfood as the rest of us!

Actrually, we have dined with them. They always serve their foods. I have learned several recipes from them. I wouldn't expect anything but graciousness from them. That's not a concern. I'm just trying to come up with somethings they will enjoy and that will expose them to different flavors.

Andy, the portobellas would be good, but shiitakes lend even more "chewiness" to a dish, I think. At least the sliced dried ones I often use. That may not be as important in adapting to an Indian dish, but when I make a vegetarian lasagna or moussaka, the shiitakes are really good to use.

Gretchen, I also think that shiitakes especially the Japanese variety are the best. Besides, they are very good for health as they have anti-tumor and anti-viral properties. I always make it a point to bring a couple of packets here whenever I go back to Singapore.

Andy: You are doing a wonderful job of planning a nice meal. I'd like to read something from vegetarians whose parents were vegetarians and they too are now adult vegetarians. My son thought he would like to try the vegetarian menu. I started serving hot vegetarian meals and before long, he was back on planet hamburger. Maybe vegetarian is his comfort food.

Back
Top Bottom